Preparing for Insider Preview Builds of Windows 11

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You've just prompted me to add the Insider section now :D. I'll follow up with the rest of the sections soon :).

Very excited to get started with the Insider builds next week!

gallens

Reaction score
Windows user from the beginning but this Win 11 is a problem. My NUC doesn't qualify for insider or even, as I read it, the upgrade and suggestion is buy new box. First off, this is a desktop and I have a phone for phone-type stuff. I have Quad Core I7, 32 gigs of RAM and twin Samsung drives, total 1 terabyte but no chip required for bitlocker, which I don't need or want. Hmmmm. There's always other OS choices, you know.

HenryTheTwelfth

Reaction score
One point I ran into. After checking if my computer qualified, and it failed the TPM check, I changed the setting in the UEFI and it passed. However. Windows Insider had already moved me from Beta to Release Preview during that time. I had to change it back to Beta manually. Might be a fluke, might be intentional on MS's part. A word to the wise.

saint2300

Reaction score
I downloaded the Windows 11 insider preview and installed on a new SSD, everything just fine.

Garyw

Reaction score
I have both 11 Pro and 11 Home running as VM's running on a system with an Intel 8500 CPU on a Gigabyte B360M mother board. The board has a socket for a TPM chip but no chip. The host is set up for MBR, so no secure boot. My point is, your system doesn't have to meet MS requirements, and you can still run Windows 11.

Grizzly

Reaction score
I have both 11 Pro and 11 Home running as VM's running on a system with an Intel 8500 CPU on a Gigabyte B360M mother board. The board has a socket for a TPM chip but no chip. The host is set up for MBR, so no secure boot. My point is, your system doesn't have to meet MS requirements, and you can still run Windows 11.
That is true as long as you already have the Insider DEV build installed. Then you can upgrade to Windows 11 without the requirements.
You try installing without the DEV Insider you quickly run into a wall. I have tried it and downloaded the UUP packages and made an installation medium. After choosing the flavor you quickly get the error message that Windows 11 cannot be installed. See here:

Garyw

Reaction score
That is true as long as you already have the Insider DEV build installed. Then you can upgrade to Windows 11 without the requirements.
You try installing without the DEV Insider you quickly run into a wall. I have tried it and downloaded the UUP packages and made an installation medium. After choosing the flavor you quickly get the error message that Windows 11 cannot be installed. See here:
Both of my W11 VM's were just ordinary W10 VM"s NOT running as Insiders. I just went to settings>Update & Security>Windows Insider Program and converted from there.

Ask a Question