How to Download Windows 11 ISO for Insider Dev Channel Build Yourself

Grizzly

Reaction score
This is a website that explains in detail on how to get the Windows 11 ISO for the DEV channel :

I have followed the instructions and was able to create an ISO that contains all editions of the 64 bit flavor. it is basically a script (similar to the UUPtoISO-tool) that downloads all needed files and converts the UUP files into an ISO file.

However I ran into a problem when trying to install from a DVD/USB drive I made. It seems like as if the minimum requirements HAVE to be met for a successful installation. Neither the multi edition nor the single edition I tried worked out as my computers simply do not meet the requirements.

The only way I was able to get Windows 11 was through the Insider program.

Well, just a DVD wasted, no harm done....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks @Grizzly. Stepped through it, got the ISO, and....
Just used it to perform a clean install on a machine I just put together just so I could run Windows 11.

I've gotta say it was, I believe, the fasted Windows OS install I've ever performed.
Of course there was a couple updates to perform after the initial install.
Seems like they had a new build today.

Capture.PNG

Grizzly

Reaction score
My machines are way too old to meet the requirements for the above ISO. They don't do UEFI, TPM or "secure boot" for that matter. Maybe some day I am gonna invest in a new computer but with the current prices I cannot afford that.

davehc

Reaction score
Not mind straining to bypass those requirements, Grizzly. But whether you machine will get the best out of Windows 11, I cannot guess.
As I posted elsewhere, I am i n the same predicament as you. Incompatible machine, and no budget coming my way. But curiosity got me and I did download the leaked version, after hacking the requirements, Not as fortunate as Trouble, it took about 45 minutes to install (I chose to keep my data) but 100% successful.
I could find anything mind shattering. Just seemed to be Windows 10 with a few things moved around and some prettier icons.
Performance wise, I checked a few items of software built in and third party and could not detect any improved performance. Not forgetting, that could be because of my low tech machine. Having said that, a higher performance machine would give me a better performance anyway - with or without Windows 11.

Mossey49

Reaction score
OK I have an i7-6700K 4GHz CPU. I understand that currently this CPU is not support for Windows 11. But I guess I am missing what it is that is not supported. The CPU has built in TPM 2.0 module. It is enabled in the bios as well as secure boot. It shows functioning in Device manager. So what actually is it that don't qualify? Just seems to me Microsoft has arbitarily picked a number and disquialified everything else, but obviosly it is not really pertaining to security enhancements for the future.

Attachments

• TPM 2.0 Message.jpg
    TPM 2.0 Message.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 6

jvickers

Reaction score
Who knows what Microsoft is up to. They're being enigmatic with reasons for excluding some processors but not others. I'm all paranoid and keep checking to make sure my system is still compatible.

tpl

Reaction score
OK I have an i7-6700K 4GHz CPU. I understand that currently this CPU is not support for Windows 11. But I guess I am missing what it is that is not supported. The CPU has built in TPM 2.0 module. It is enabled in the bios as well as secure boot. It shows functioning in Device manager. So what actually is it that don't qualify? Just seems to me Microsoft has arbitrarily picked a number and disqualified everything else, but obviously it is not really pertaining to security enhancements for the future.
IIRC Microsoft does not support processors earlier than Gen 8 for Windows 11. UNless the machine was already in the insider program before the W11 announcement. My ancient test machine has a I7 2600 and got W11 and updates although I get a bright red warning every time saying that the machine will not run a production W11.

So I suspect your I7 is too old. It is, only Gen 8 and newer supported.

Mossey49

Reaction score
IIRC Microsoft does not support processors earlier than Gen 8 for Windows 11. UNless the machine was already in the insider program before the W11 announcement. My ancient test machine has a I7 2600 and got W11 and updates although I get a bright red warning every time saying that the machine will not run a production W11.

So I suspect your I7 is too old. It is, only Gen 8 and newer supported.
Just read an article that states that Z170 chipset is now supported, that includes the Skylake CPU. I may be in luck! I did not authourize it but Windows 11 latest build installed itself on my PC (Beta Channel). It has been running fine and looks good but really no big deal.
Note: I am still getting the message that this PC does not meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11.

Last edited:

Mossey49

Reaction score
Home edition? I've heard similar stories before, so just confirming that with Home edition it doesn't give you a choice.
I am running Pro version and I noticed it had downloaded the Beta release but it was pending, me choosing install. I did not select install but the first time I had to reboot, there it was! still performing excellent on my machine!

HenryTheTwelfth

Reaction score
Awesome. Glad it's working for you. (For future reference, you can always stall updates for up to a week. Gives you time to at least back things up beforehand.)

Ask a Question