Windows 11 security; Windows Defender

cyclist

Reaction score
I am very curious given the current environment of online security if the new W11 is going to enhance or strengthen its WDefender. Or given the online world we live in will it be necessary or recommended to move to a third party AV, malware etc.? I have been using WDefender on my W10 for several years w/o any known issue. I welcome any thoughts.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can share what they are putting out publicly at this time
Windows 11 is also secure by design, with new built-in security technologies that will add protection from the chip to the cloud, while enabling productivity and new experiences. Windows 11 provides a Zero Trust-ready operating system to protect data and access across devices. We have worked closely with our OEM and silicon partners to raise security baselines to meet the needs of the evolving threat landscape and the new hybrid work world.
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/06/24/introducing-windows-11/

No specifics with respect to their "Defender" product so far, but....
I suspect I will continue using it until such time as I see some information from reliable sources that suggests it isn't or can't do a dependable job.
I also run MBAM (MalwareBytes Anti-Malware) along side Defender, and....
Of course, always have two recent disk images that are stored on external media that is only connected to my computer during the time the backup is being performed.

cyclist

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble,
Would you mind clarifying your last sentence, i am not familiar with... storing two recent images on a external media process. Would you mind explaining what this means and how you apply this process? Thanks again. Best regards.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would you mind explaining what this means and how you apply this process?
Sure.....
I use a product called Acronis True Image.
It's a "backup" software of sorts, that allows me to take an image (exact copy) of my hard disk and store that image on a 2 terabyte hard disk connected (temporarily) for that purpose via USB 3.0 caddy to the computer I want to image (backup).
I do that on a regular basis and always maintain the most recent two images.

jvickers

Reaction score
Sure.....
I use a product called Acronis True Image.
It's a "backup" software of sorts, that allows me to take an image (exact copy) of my hard disk and store that image on a 2 terabyte hard disk connected (temporarily) for that purpose via USB 3.0 caddy to the computer I want to image (backup).
I do that on a regular basis and always maintain the most recent two images.
This is the same thing I do except I have my Windows 10 image on an external SSD and my Windows 11 backups on separate internal SSD. Acronis True Image is so easy to use and pretty inexpensive the last time I checked. Or maybe it was just on sale. Still, it's worth the price. I know I've restored from my backup a few times.

Grizzly

Reaction score
There are other Image programs as well, e.g. Macrium reflect (there is a free version of it), AOMEI Backupper, OODiskimage and maybe some others. I personally use Acronis as well (paid version), however I am using an older Version which still fits my needs.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
my Windows 11 backups on separate internal SSD
The only reason I don't use internal drives is.....
I suspect that some if not many malicious software, especially some of the most recent ransomware products are extremely aggressive and might, if not probably, will attack all permanently attached storage device.

That's why I keep mine unattached except during the actual backup process, which I perform manually, often even booting from the Acronis Rescue Media to avoid any overhead caused by a running Operating System.

Grizzly

Reaction score
The only reason I don't use internal drives is.....
I suspect that some if not many malicious software, especially some of the most recent ransomware products are extremely aggressive and might, if not probably, will attack all permanently attached storage device.

That's why I keep mine unattached except during the actual backup process, which I perform manually, often even booting from the Acronis Rescue Media to avoid any overhead caused by a running Operating System.
That is exactly right. I do my backups the same way

cyclist

Reaction score
Hi Guys thanks Grizzly, jvickers for your input and thank you Trouble for taking the trouble?? to respond. But on serious note it sounds like you guy prefer to install Acronis on a external SSD vs partitioning on your existing internal ssd? Currently, i am set up w/WD SSD on my desktop and Samsung EVO on my laptop. So your feeling is not to partition Acronis? thanks again

jvickers

Reaction score
Yes, don't partition your existing SDDs. Get an external SDD to create your backup(s). Personally, I would upgrade only one of your two systems at this stage to see if you like Windows 11. Trouble and Grizzly back up both on external SDDs, it seems, whereas I back up my Windows 11 install on an internal SSD. As they point out, that's still vulnerable to ransomware. I will have to see if I can copy another image to my one external SSD. I don't see why I couldn't.

Looking at Acronis 2021 more closely, it seems they did away with the perpetual license on their website and now have a yearly fee. You can install it on one computer for $49.99/yr. That's a little steep in my opinion. So, don't purchase directly from Acronis. From Amazon, you can purchase a Acronis 2021 perpetual license disk for $39.99: https://www.amazon.com/Acronis-True...p-B08KFRY61F/dp/B08KFRY61F/ref=dp_ob_title_sw. (Go figure.) For that price, you can probably get one for each system.

You also might explore one of the other options Grizzly mentions above.

semce2

Reaction score
I use Microsoft Defender and Appcheck Anti-Ransomeware, which is redundant though. I scan now and then with Malwarebytes, which never finds anything, and SuperAntiSpyware which does find a few items, though I don't think they are critical. I use Macrium Reflect to make images to an external hard drive and once a month to a flash drive which I then remove and keep in a drawer.

Ask a Question