Update on Windows 11 minimum system requirements

Grizzly

Reaction score
Well, well, well.....
What a surprise. I just started my Insider machine and guess what shows up in the DEV channel ??
Correct, Windows 11 preview 10.0.22000.51 .

I am downloading as I type this. At least I get a glimpse if the "NEW" system...

Unfortunately not an ISO available on the Insider download website.

So much for nothing. The insider install let me know that I cannot install the insider preview of Windows 11 because my pc does not have TPM and Secure Boot which it actually does not have, otherwise I am golden, crap!!

Last edited:

Grizzly

Reaction score
Well, I should have read the minimum requirements more thoroughly. It states that at least 64 GB of storage are needed (My DEV Insider was running on a 40GB partition with lots of space to spare). So I tried it again after increasing the DEV partition on my Insider machine to 64.1GB. It was enough to satisfy Windows 11 to be installed, even without TPM and secure boot.
First impression: I really do not like it in the way it is. The taskbar cannot be moved around (mine is always on top, not the bottom), the start menu sucks. Everything is anywhere, nothing stayed where it was before. Its gonna take a lot of "getting used to it".

Mossey49

Reaction score
Anyone know why my Lenovo Thinkpad E570 i7-7500U Windows 10pro Laptop. with 8GB ram, 2.7Ghz CPU, Nvidia GPU 250 GB m,2 boot drive will not qualify to try Windows 11 on the dev channel. My laptop also has a hardware based TPM module that is enabled and I have secure boot enabled in the UEFI bios. TPM 2.0 Shows active in device manager. I flat out get a message that my machine does not meet minimum requirements for Windows 11

Last edited:

jvickers

Reaction score
Does your system meet this other two requirements:

Graphics card:Compatible with DirectX 12 or later with WDDM 2.0 driver

I know the monitor and resolution meet Windows 11 requirements. And your TPM is 2.0, correct?

Anibor_11

Reaction score
Anyone know why my Lenovo Thinkpad E570 i7-7500U Windows 10pro Laptop. with 8GB ram, 2.7Ghz CPU, Nvidia GPU 250 GB m,2 boot drive will not qualify to try Windows 11 on the dev channel. My laptop also has a hardware based TPM module that is enabled and I have secure boot enabled in the UEFI bios. TPM 2.0 Shows active in device manager. I flat out get a message that my machine does not meet minimum requirements for Windows 11
CPU is Intel Core 7th generation (the "7" in 7500U). 8th gen required.

Last edited:

Falconite-9

Reaction score
I installed the windows 11 iso, took the install.wim file from it, converted it to install.esd, and pasted it into a Windows 10 Boot USB, and it didnt ask for requirements, just installed!

davehc

Reaction score
I installed the windows 11 iso, took the install.wim file from it, converted it to install.esd, and pasted it into a Windows 10 Boot USB, and it didnt ask for requirements, just installed!
Probably your ISO was from the leaked availability, or the Developer branch.? Neither of these have any restricted requirements. Did you try and install direct from the ISO? It should have been enough.

Falconite-9

Reaction score
Probably your ISO was from the leaked availability, or the Developer branch.? Neither of these have any restricted requirements. Did you try and install direct from the ISO? It should have been enough.
Actaully download from Uup dump

Mossey49

Reaction score
CPU is Intel Core 7th generation (the "7" in 7500U). 8th gen required.
i know you are correct, but I am amazed at how Microsoft is shoving this down our throats, and our governments do nothing to protect us from this type of corporate, Microsoft greed. If this is a security issue the TPM module takes care of that. So basically they are making at least 2 generations (6 and 7)of Intel CPU based machines obsolete by 2025, not because they will not run Windows 11, it's because Microsoft choose to add to the already looming chip shortages and leave thoose CPU behind and sell more O/S. I have 3 computers in this situation, and they all have TPM 2.0 modules enabled and functioning, and if this hold true, Microsoft is forcing me to build or buy new Computers, which in turn makes 3 new sales for Windows 11. They claim the upgrade is free and is if your Computer qualifies, but new MB and CPU combinations do not! I wish everyone would just switch to a free Linux distrbution and leave Microsoft sucking wind!

jvickers

Reaction score
i know you are correct, but I am amazed at how Microsoft is shoving this down our throats, and our governments do nothing to protect us from this type of corporate, Microsoft greed. If this is a security issue the TPM module takes care of that. So basically they are making at least 2 generations (6 and 7)of Intel CPU based machines obsolete by 2025, not because they will not run Windows 11, it's because Microsoft choose to add to the already looming chip shortages and leave thoose CPU behind and sell more O/S. I have 3 computers in this situation, and they all have TPM 2.0 modules enabled and functioning, and if this hold true, Microsoft is forcing me to build or buy new Computers, which in turn makes 3 new sales for Windows 11. They claim the upgrade is free and is if your Computer qualifies, but new MB and CPU combinations do not! I wish everyone would just switch to a free Linux distrbution and leave Microsoft sucking wind!
I recently read that Microsoft is currently working on trying to make the 7th gen Intel CPUs work with Windows 11. Who know if they'll do it in reality, though. I think it's safe to say 6th gen Intel CPUs will be out of luck.

Mossey49

Reaction score
Again right on the money! I received a message this AM that stated, that Microsoft records shows my PC qualifies for Windows 11. I tried my 6th generation PC with no luck but when I tried 7th generation Laptop the message has changed to it Qualifies. So I am currently installing Windows 11 Insider preview 10.0.22000.100

jvickers

Reaction score
Again right on the money! I received a message this AM that stated, that Microsoft records shows my PC qualifies for Windows 11. I tried my 6th generation PC with no luck but when I tried 7th generation Laptop the message has changed to it Qualifies. So I am currently installing Windows 11 Insider preview 10.0.22000.100
Great to see!

Mossey49

Reaction score
I installed Windows 11 on my Laptop and it run's very well no issues so far. But the message has now returned stating that this PC does not qualify for Windows 11.

inooodevil

Reaction score
Well, well, well.....
What a surprise. I just started my Insider machine and guess what shows up in the DEV channel ??
Correct, Windows 11 preview 10.0.22000.51 .

I am downloading as I type this. At least I get a glimpse if the "NEW" system...

Unfortunately not an ISO available on the Insider download website.

So much for nothing. The insider install let me know that I cannot install the insider preview of Windows 11 because my pc does not have TPM and Secure Boot which it actually does not have, otherwise I am golden, crap!!
You can bypass Windows 11 TPM requirement and you can read briefly and step by step here

Grizzly

Reaction score

Grizzly

Reaction score
Another Update on the minimum requirements (more CPU's have been added):

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Was reading this https://www.theverge.com/22644194/m...inimum-system-requirements-processors-changes
And thought "well isn't that special" (in my best Dana Carvey Church Lady voice).
THEN
I noticed
but Microsoft says devices that don’t meet the minimum hardware requirements “had 52 percent more kernel mode crashes.” Devices that meet the official minimum specs “had a 99.8 percent crash free experience,”
AND
Update, 11:59 PM ET: Added that Windows 11 updates may be in jeopardy if you take the ISO install method with a PC that doesn’t meet the company’s system requirements.
SO
That leaves us with the "how exactly did you install Windows 11 on your system" question, when attempting to assist forum members
with problems impacting their installs.
Does or perhaps did, your system meet the minimum system requirements when you installed the OS?

Ask a Question