Will you upgrade to Windows 11 on release day?

Will you upgrade to Windows 11 on release day?

• Yes, 100%

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Probably

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No, certainly not.

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you going to take the plunge and install Windows 11 as soon as it is released, or will you wait a little longer for the bugs to be ironed out?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's a firm.....
Probably.
I expect to play around a bit with the preview starting some time next week.
Know idea as yet on a firm release date although in the past they've seemed to be quite fond of October

Grizzly

Reaction score
Certainly NOT as my hardware is not compatible. Unless MS reduces the minimum requirements drastically otherwise they will not have much of a fellowship.

BigFeet

Reaction score
No. I only have one PC that passes all the criteria. I eventually will, especially if it boosts gaming performance (which I hear it's supposed to). Windows 10 will be supported until 2025, so there really is no reason for me to rush out and upgrade.

jvickers

Reaction score
Certainly NOT as my hardware is not compatible. Unless MS reduces the minimum requirements drastically otherwise they will not have much of a fellowship.
From what I've read elsewhere, Microsoft is pushing for people to purchase new computers. They make no money of these upgrades but do make a great deal off sales to businesses and OEM software. That's just what I read, though. If what I read is correct, I doubt they're going to relax their requirements.

Bastet

Reaction score
I suspect that is the case, however, imo the PC stores would be making the most money by selling new Win 11 compatible PCs more than Microsoft who’d just make the money on the OEM OS.
I’ve read that even 1 yo PCs aren’t compatible. Also some recent Surface laptops aren’t compatible.
Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot with this OS with its restrictions.
My laptop is more than compatible with the minimum requirements but as it has a Intel 6th gen processor I’m not able to upgrade.

jvickers

Reaction score
I’ve read that even 1 yo PCs aren’t compatible.
I imagine this depends on the quality of the computer and whether TPM and Secure Boot are enabled in the BIOS. I have a homemade system that is almost two years old with an MSI X570 Gaming Edge motherboard. I had to enable these two items in order to upgrade to Windows 11. It wasn't a problem.

Now, I imagine less tech-savvy people with one-year-old PCs who don't know how to enable these will have issues provided the items are disabled. Of course, that all also depends on the computer passing the other Microsoft requirements. For instance, cheaper systems might not meet the video card requirement. That would also prevent them from upgrading.

Bastet

Reaction score
Apparently some of these 1 yo machines have 6 or 7th gen processors (for some reason) so aren’t compatible.
Even some newer Surface devices are able to upgrade.

jvickers

Reaction score
Apparently some of these 1 yo machines have 6 or 7th gen processors (for some reason) so aren’t compatible.
Even some newer Surface devices are able to upgrade.
Yeah, it's probably more cost effective to use a 6th or 7th gen processor. That's unfortunate for the person who purchased it.

I have a colleague who is looking to purchase a new tower this Black Friday. I told her to make sure she asks if it will upgrade to Windows 11 when it hits the broader public. Even if they say, "I don't know," it's probably best to keep looking.

Bastet

Reaction score
I would’ve said any PC made this year would be able to upgrade to 11 but after reading various articles I’ve come to the conclusion there’s no guarantee unless the PC comes with Win 11 installed.

greeman

Reaction score
Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎10/‎8/‎2021
OS build 22000.194

davehc

Reaction score
The previous problem of installing on an incompatible computer, is now largely overcome with the suggested fix by Microsoft themselves.
I think the problem with those computers will lie with future updates, particularly if ontended for hardware which the user does not have

Ask a Question