Windows 11 may support Intel 7th gen, AMD Zen 1 CPUs in the future

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I really hope they do open up CPUs like this - Zen 1 really isn't that old at all and still a "modern" processor.

My suspicions are that there will at the very least be an easy workaround.

CymruUSA

Reaction score
I'm running a W11 insider build on a 6th gen Intel and it's as smooth as W10. The only hiccup I've had was the greyed out widgets that was fixed easily. I'm not sure if it's an OS upgrade or just a UI upgrade. Everything works, no problems with printers, Bluetooth, wifi, network or anything as far as I can tell. If memory serves me, I had more issues on an upgrade to W10. I do think people looking for new features are going to be a little disappointed. Regardless, I think data from insiders will ultimately decide on what CPU's get the update when its GA. Cheers.

Bastet

Reaction score
I hope they also accept 6th Gen processors.
The irony is many Surface devices also cannot run Windows 11.

Bastet

Reaction score
Even better news is that there’s an indication that Microsoft may well be about to include 6th gen processors as compatible with Win 11:

CymruUSA

Reaction score
I think everything will become known after enough insiders are running W11. I have a 6th gen and its very smooth so if others have the same experience, MS will probably lower the threshold for installation. Keep your fingers crossed!

Neelix

Reaction score
Its all typically ms weird,..how can they have Atom processors supported,but you have a 3 yr old high end cpu ,ssd,4 cores and 32 gb ram,and it wont run,?...:eek:

CymruUSA

Reaction score
Its all typically ms weird,..how can they have Atom processors supported,but you have a 3 yr old high end cpu ,ssd,4 cores and 32 gb ram,and it wont run,?...:eek:
Yep, pretty typical. They should have probably waited a little bit before deciding which processors to support. I'm sure they have good intentions but the messaging was a little off.

Neelix

Reaction score
They should have probably waited a little bit before deciding which processors to support.
They havnt been very clear on any of the requirements really,..loads of people have got 11 running fine without TPM 2,..was 8th gen boards to do with security,..meltdown / spectre,..who really knows,..messy rollout though,..i would probably have upgraded straight away,but they,ve made it messy,so ill wait,..see where it all is when the dust settles.:)

jvickers

Reaction score
They havnt been very clear on any of the requirements really,..loads of people have got 11 running fine without TPM 2,..was 8th gen boards to do with security,..meltdown / spectre,..who really knows,..messy rollout though,..i would probably have upgraded straight away,but they,ve made it messy,so ill wait,..see where it all is when the dust settles.:)
I think you have to look in multiple places to find the system requirements. Some sights list the general required specs but not the compatible CPUs. I put the compatible CPUs in the Hardware section of the forum.

If my computer didn't pass the Health Check test for Windows 11, I wouldn't have installed it. It's my understanding that the requirements to install on the Dev channel are relaxed. So, it sounds like almost anyone can install on a system if they get the update from the Dev channel. Too risky in my opinion.

Neelix

Reaction score
If my computer didn't pass the Health Check test for Windows 11, I wouldn't have installed it. It's my understanding that the requirements to install on the DevYeah.. channel are relaxed. So, it sounds like almost anyone can install on a system if they get the update from the Dev channel. Too risky in my opinion
Yeah,..11 seems to be running ok fr most people i spoke too with it,..which isnt that many,..dont know if the dev channels keep getting updates down the road wth unsuported hardware or what,..still not sure what ill do,..or if this rig is gonna be supported or not..i might just make it easy fr myself for once and buy an 11,..expensive but i want another missions rig anyway,..

Last edited:

CymruUSA

Reaction score
I think you have to look in multiple places to find the system requirements. Some sights list the general required specs but not the compatible CPUs. I put the compatible CPUs in the Hardware section of the forum.

If my computer didn't pass the Health Check test for Windows 11, I wouldn't have installed it. It's my understanding that the requirements to install on the Dev channel are relaxed. So, it sounds like almost anyone can install on a system if they get the update from the Dev channel. Too risky in my opinion.
TBH, I've been in the dev channel from the very first day it started and except for weekly updates and the occasional annoyance, I've not encountered too many issues. Don't forget that there are three channels to choose from. Dev (which I'm on), Beta (stabilized) and release preview. Cheers.

pcuser

Reaction score
I got Win11 as an Insider Dev Channel Preview, Ran fine with my i7-4790 @3.60GHz and Gigabyte Z97x-UD5H motherboard with 32GB RAM. Note I do not have TPM and not using UEFI or Secure Boot.

After using Win11 for a while, I went back to Win10...

I didn't like the reduced functionality and flexibility of the Win11 TaskBar.
The TaskBar is now limited to a single line of shortcut icons at only the bottom of the screen. Also on starting to load the Desktop... Win11 gave an error message... "TrayClockWClass not found" which prevented my "Atomic Alarm Clock 6" which I use because it has a more pleasing look [i.e. clock "skins"] that shows a more customizable and informational Date/Time Display. I used "Atomic Alarm Clock 6" in Win10 to replace the MS TrayClock which now in Win11 doesn't show "seconds". Note. MS really needs to update its TrayClock to allow customizations of the "fonts" and Date/Time information.

Ask a Question