Edge does not remember default printer

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm facing a very frustrating problem, where Microsoft Edge browser does not respect the default printer settings (set via Settings > Printers). It always defaults to "Print to PDF", which takes a few seconds to generate a preview. It really slows the workflow down and I can't see a way to force Edge to respect the default printer.

Is anyone else facing the same problem? I'm submitting a bug report at the moment.

davehc

Reaction score
I am not close to an expert on printers, Ian, but lately I have been involved in having to set up a couple of wireless printers for a friend.

Maybe n different, but, you have selected it as the default?
Other thing, with your message whic I encountered several times whilst trying - it looks like the printer is not set up/connecting correctly?

Mickey52

Reaction score
I just tried my printer it works fine, took an extra step then normal but it printed. seems none of my settings have been changed.

Mickey52

Reaction score
my printer is set up wireless but mine is a personal printer not a business

davehc

Reaction score
Another thought. I think I eventually went into the old control panel and selected the printer and set it as default from there.
FWIW. The printers are all ok now.

Mickey52

Reaction score
No matter what they do to windows its good they hold onto older system resources like control panel, when all else fails going to it fixes things.

davehc

Reaction score
Problem is, Mickey, that they are slowly easing it out. Several of the control panel links now only take you to the new settings panels

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - yep, I've selected it as default within Control Panel / Settings, but Edge just ignores that preference for some reason.

davehc

Reaction score
Sorry, can't suggest anything.

I have tried really hard to emulate your problem - and failed:(

I wonder if fiddling with these might do it ( down in Apps - default apps):

1669359723653.png

Otherwise a total reset of edge?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I'll a full reset of Edge this weekend and see if that helps!

davehc

Reaction score
Found this, Ian. Several complaints of the same nature. It is apparently linked to the old IE, in some (unknown to me!) way:

• 1) Press Windows key + r and type regedit, then Enter.
  • 2) Locate the below path in registry. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main
  • 3) On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click String Value.
  • 4) Type AlwaysUseDefaultPrinter, and then press Enter.
  • 5) On the Edit menu, click Modify.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Dave! This sounds promising. I've had a look at the registry, but there's no "MicrosoftEdge" path, the closest I have is "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Edge" but no "Main" key. I wonder if this reg fix relates to before the big Edge update?

Mickey52

Reaction score
I do not know what the issue is, I just used edge to print an order everything went well.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I'm facing a very frustrating problem, where Microsoft Edge browser does not respect the default printer settings (set via Settings > Printers). It always defaults to "Print to PDF", which takes a few seconds to generate a preview. It really slows the workflow down and I can't see a way to force Edge to respect the default printer.

Is anyone else facing the same problem? I'm submitting a bug report at the moment.​

hello there, I would suggest you to override the Windows by managing the printers, please use https://github.com/Sophia-Community/SophiApp and untick the column as below screenshot of mine and restart the computer .. hope this helps :)

you could also play around with some other tweaks available in there, but be cautious and make Restore Point before playing some serious stuffs there ..

1669737613497.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried changing letting Windows manage my default printer, but without success either. I'm guessing this is a bug in Edge, so I'll wait to hear back from the bug report :).

davehc

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried changing letting Windows manage my default printer, but without success either. I'm guessing this is a bug in Edge, so I'll wait to hear back from the bug report :).
I sympathise. Biggest problems I have had, since they invented windows, has been with printers.
But, out of curiosity, I am still on my original track of a faulty installation;)

As a matter of interest, if you open, say, WordPad and select print, do you see this, with your default at the top?

1669802835646.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Dave - yep it works fine in Wordpad with the default printer as expected. Very strange how it's just Edge, but I've filed some feedback for MS:

davehc

Reaction score
I have to ask:confused:

Presumably you have tried moving it up the drop down list, physically, to the top?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have to ask:confused:

Presumably you have tried moving it up the drop down list, physically, to the top?
Not sure I follow? Within the Edge print dialog box, or within Settings?

Ask a Question