Folders like Windows 10

Mr X

Reaction score
is it possible to set the icons of the folders like those of windows 10 that allow you to glimpse the content?

davehc

Reaction score
I think you may mean:
In Windows explorer, On the top bar, select "View".
Select "Details".......

Mr X

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but that's not what I meant. When I upgraded from Windows 10 to 11, the folder icons on the desktop (and beyond) changed to "opaque". The previous icons let you see the type of files that are inside and I found it very useful.

Last edited:

davehc

Reaction score
When I click such a desktop icon, it opens to show the original contents?

In my computers, at least, apart from the different design, it is the same for Windows 10

Mr X

Reaction score
it works the same way if I open it.
the point is that in w10 it showed you the preview of 2 files in the folder without needing to open it. This seems like a step backwards to me.

acerguy

Reaction score
Hi Mr X and dave. I know what you are talking about. In Windows 10, the folders had previews shown. In Windows 11 this has been removed. It is really a step backwards I think in 11. However, I don't mind having no preview on the folder. Anyhows, I think 11 is still a work in progress, if there is enough guys want previews Microsoft may bring it back.
We can still however customise the folder, and put an icon on the folder if we want to. Like I have a folder I have called Music (not the Library) and I put a music note icon on it. And on my Astronomy folder, I put an icon of a planet on it.
Cheers .. take care ...

NoNoBadDog

Reaction score
The feature you are asking about will be coming in a later release build of Windows 11. If you join the insider program and subscribe to the dev channel, your windows will update to a dev release that has that feature working. Be aware that dev builds are not even BETA level builds, meaning that lots of issues can be expected.

I believe the feature will be updated in the next major revision update to windows 11 in September.

Ask a Question