Installation failed in SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation 0xC1900101 0x20017

achilles.a

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm trying to upgrade my Lenovo Laptop from Windows 10 to 11. However the above error persists. I'll give a list of things tried till date
1)Tried to upgrade via WU, downloaded ISO file and bootable USB. The last one didn't allow me to upgrade, only fresh install permitted hence cancelled.
2)Disabled Secure Boot
3)Removed Kaspersky Antivirus
4)Ran DISM, SFC and chkdsk
5)Enabled certain services as automatic (after doing some research)
6)Checked Device Manager, no red flags, no driver updates available via WU/Lenovo

Windows version is Windows 10 21H1 19043.1320
There is sufficient disk space and all requirements are met. WU is saying the PC is eligible for the update. This error is driving me nuts. Please help.

Last edited:

achilles.a

Reaction score
Antivirus uninstalled. Lenovo tool not showing any updates. Secure boot disabled.. Still the same

Bastet

Reaction score
Did you run the AV’s uninstall tool to completely remove the program?
Run sfc & DISM. Instructions are on the link I posted. There’s also more suggestions there.

Bastet

Reaction score
So you downloaded the kavremover tool & ran this to fully uninstall Kaspersky?
Did you remove all non essential USB devices apart from mouse & keyboard?

achilles.a

Reaction score
Didn't use any special tool. Used the Uninstaller and restarted when prompted. It's a laptop and no extra peripherals are attached

Bastet

Reaction score
Then it may not have been completely removed. This is why using the AV’s uninstaller tool is recommended.

achilles.a

Reaction score
Then it may not have been completely removed. This is why using the AV’s uninstaller tool is recommended.
Tried and failed...Guess a clean install is the only option left

Bastet

Reaction score
I would create a system image using Macrium Reflect (also create their boot media), then if the problem remains you can quickly roll back from the clean install.

Dave Young

Reaction score
This is a problem that has persisted for years. And Microsoft just don't give a damn. None of the solutions on all the webpages I've looked at have worked for me. I am reconciled to the fact that the only solution is a clean reinstall, but it probably won't work in the long run because it will without doubt recur. So it's better to just accept that, once you have this issue, you can never upgrade windows again. Or buy a new pc.

Bastet

Reaction score
Did you try all the suggestions in the website I mentioned? Have you tried updating to 21H2?
If the media creation tool isn’t allowing you to upgrade then this can indicate the wrong version was downloaded.

Dave Young

Reaction score
Hi. Yes, I tried all the suggestions on Kapil Arya's website and loads more from other websites. I can see that this has been a problem since Windows 7 in 2015. And now achilles_a is reporting it here with upgrading to Win 11. Microsoft should be sorting this out but they clearly don't give a flying f***. What's the point of trying to fix it when it could return with the next upgrade? Even MCPs don't know the answer. And Yes, I have tried to use Windows Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to 21H2, but that fails with the same error message so if that is downloading the wrong version, then what can a mere mortal do?

Bastet

Reaction score
Can you download Windows updates OK?
Are you running Home or Pro? When downloading the media creation tool & creating media you may have to deselect the option to automatically choose the correct version & manually select Home/Pro & the language.

Have you posted on the Microsoft community? There should be users thee with more knowledge on this problem including Kapil.

Dave Young

Reaction score
Post on the Microsoft community forum? Have you seen how many people have posted the exact same problem there? No one has a solution.

Ask a Question