Win 11 Installation USB unable to find C:\Drive

Moby72

Reaction score
Downloaded Win 11 ISO and created a USB installation flash drive from within Acer Swift 3 laptop so that all necessary drivers would be included.

After booting up from the USB installation drive, Win 11 installation process could not detect my laptop's NVME SSD drive.

Any ideas?

danielta

Reaction score
same issue installing on a Dell Precision 5820.
It looks like the drive is not found but no solution found

danielta

Reaction score
@Trouble thanks for the link.
I have changed the settings accordingly but it didn't solve for me.
It stops at the same empty window where the installation destination drives should be listed..
Any idea?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any idea?
I wish...

Is this a factory NVME or did you acquire it and add it to the computer?

Can you confirm that the BIOS see the drive?

Is it the only drive installed in the system?

Is it a new drive or have you used it for other purposes or in a different system.

Does the motherboard have multiple NVME slots and have you tried an alternate.
The way I understand them to work is that they can be dedicated / discrete OR and more likely associated with an onboard SATA port.
There should be some documentation somewhere available to you as to how the NVME slots work on your particular motherboard.

danielta

Reaction score
I wish...

Is this a factory NVME or did you acquire it and add it to the computer?
factory NVME, it is a new machine just out of the box
Can you confirm that the BIOS see the drive?
yes, it came with ubuntu installed and running
Is it the only drive installed in the system?
yes
Is it a new drive or have you used it for other purposes or in a different system.
new drive
Does the motherboard have multiple NVME slots and have you tried an alternate.
The way I understand them to work is that they can be dedicated / discrete OR and more likely associated with an onboard SATA port.
There should be some documentation somewhere available to you as to how the NVME slots work on your particular motherboard.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The fact that it came with a version of Linux installed might be contributing to your current issues due to the nature of the formatting of Linux drive partitions.

It's possible you may need to boot from the Windows installation media and when the process begins (first box or two that opens during the install....
Hold down the shift key and strike the F10 key, this should open a command prompt and from there you can launch DiskPart and clean the drive and then subsequently install Windows onto what should be "unallocated" space.

Give this a read
From the Command Prompt window section on down. Pay attention to the warnings in Red, although with only a single drive in the system you should only see the Linux (NVME) drive and your install media drive, so avoiding errors should be relatively easy.

Badbak

Reaction score
Downloaded Win 11 ISO and created a USB installation flash drive from within Acer Swift 3 laptop so that all necessary drivers would be included.

After booting up from the USB installation drive, Win 11 installation process could not detect my laptop's NVME SSD drive.

Any ideas?
yeah windows can't read linux file system software there for can't install windows. if windows10 has never been installed on the machine then you won't get a free upgrade of windows two options remove the nvme ssd and replace it with a blank new one or get the necessary tool to clean off the nvme ssd of all data partitions repartition it to suit windows

Ask a Question