Is this ram upgrade the same timings as my current or better/worse?

james_uk

Reaction score
Hi, i currently have 16gb ram in my g5 5500.

It has 2 different ram modules supplied by Dell

1 x 8GB SK-Hynix HMA81GS6CJR8N
1 x 8GB Micron HMA81GS6CJR8N

I was wanting to upgrade to 32GB and was looking at the dual kit from Crucial, which has:

2 x Crucial 16GB CT16G4SFRA32A

I was wondering as well as doubling the memory would i also see faster timings, the same or worse if i got it?

James

Bighorn

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it as long as the 2 x 16GB are the same. It appears the Hynix [frequently comes with various OEM computers] and the Micron are the same. I have a Notebook with an 8GB at 3200 and a 4GB at 2666, no issues. A note: I think Crucial is part of Micron. The only issue I ever had with an order to Crucial for modules to put in a Dell Dimension 2350 desktop, turned out the memory for the 2300 Series they shipped me was different, they cross-shipped the correct modules with no problem.

Since you already had 2 modules your BIOS should show dual-channel for the memory but check to make sure. I notice some improvement with program processing using dual-channel versus single-channel [only one module].

As for making more memory available to both Windows to use as it needs and programs, especially large spreadsheets, databases and video editing, more will help.

Last edited:

Ask a Question