Microsoft isn't FORCING anyone to upgrade to Windows 11. Yet. Let's make that clear.

GeneS

Reaction score
Who said anything about being forced, except you?
Everyone has a right to their opinion as to weather Microsoft is treating them fairly or not
I happen to think Microsoft is trying to get people to buy new PC's so they can increase
their sales of windows 11 to manufactures of PC's. We get the update for free so Microsoft
doesn't make any money that way.
And yes manufactures have to pay for the windows 11 license to put it on a new PC

That Fool Pool Man

Reaction score
GeneS,

You're grinding an axe. You first dropped a post saying 11 is a good reason to buy a Mac, and I'm pretty sure I tore your flimsy reasoning to shreds. My Best Point --> when you said Windows screwed users like you, you implied Apple wouldn't -- and yet -- they just screwed all their pre-M1 chip customers.

Now you have a conspiracy theory that is also pretty weak, "I happen to think Microsoft is trying to get people to buy new PC's so they can increase their sales of windows 11 to manufactures of PC's."

Flaws with that argument --

1. Sales skyrocketed during Covid.
2. Of course Microsoft would be trying to increase sales of PCs. That's their BUSINESS. So on the one hand creating a better operating system helps them and all their OEMs. That said --
3. -- Microsoft seems to be organically challenged in actually making better operating systems. I've never seen such a stupid company. I've jested elsewhere that if you told me 12 Ford Dealerships were responsible for Windows 11... I'd agree with you. It's as if hiring software engineers isn't their thing. This is all to say that if MS is too stupid to get Win11 right from day one... they're too stupid to even try your conspiracy theory.

So. Seriously. Put your Kleenex away, sell your PC on eBay, and move on. The whining is infantile.

GeneS

Reaction score
oop tee doop, tee doop
Yes you are the fool man
I like to listen to people who actually have something to say not a troll
lets see mark you spam

Mickey52

Reaction score
I have been up grading since Win3.1 if I was still using 3.1 I would be in the dark not knowing how far we have come. SO when it comes I will give it a try never know once I learn the basics I could like it.
As with Win10 I will collect a notebook on how to do's and learn with everyone else. We want things so all we have to do is learn something new and post when we have better suggestions.

davehc

Reaction score
I have just posted this in the Win 10 forum. Reading this thread, I thought it could well fit in here?

Following up on Grizzly's excellent links. Here are the full details.

As pointed out by another member, MS have emphasised that you are under no obligation to install Windows 11.

I have a couple or so of non compatible Laptops. All have installed Windows 11 with the official MS tips below. Because of the inadequacies of my Laptops, the performance has been nothing to excite me. Neither has Windows 11. It appears to be a rehash of Windows 10, with a few things moved around. I have been running Windows 11 for a while on, only one, of my machines.. To date I have not encountered any problems.

But there is a very sensible warning from MS. With subsequent updates, you may run into difficulties if you computer is not up to the compatibility standard. That is your choice. There is also a mention that you may not always get periodic updates - I haven't been able to put this to the test.

fwiw. I used the reg fix as reccomended by MS.
I download the ISO from the link posted below, and installed it on a non bootable USB. From there I ran the Setup.exe. No problems encountered. I selected to keep my data and software - which was also accomplished 100%

You can get Windows 11 officially from here:

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

Warning:

Microsoft recommends against installing Windows 11 on a device that does not meet the Windows 11 minimum system requirements. If you choose to install Windows 11 on a device that does not meet these requirements, and you acknowledge and understand the risks, you can create the following registry key values and bypass the check for TPM 2.0 (at least TPM 1.2 is required) and the CPU family and model.

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup

Name: AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU

Type: REG_DWORD

Value: 1

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

There are two installation paths available:

Upgrade by launching Setup on the media while running Windows 10. You will have the option to:

a. Perform a Full Upgrade, which keeps personal files (including drivers), apps, and Windows Settings. This is the default experience and is the one that Installation Assistant uses.

b. Keep Data Only will keep personal files (including drivers) only, not apps and not Windows Settings.

c. Clean Install will install Windows 11 and keep nothing from the Windows 10 installation. For more info, see Give your PC a Fresh Start.

Boot from media to launch Setup. This path is a clean install and will not retain previous files or settings. For more info, see Give your PC a Fresh Start.

Important: You should verify that your device meets minimum system requirements before you choose to boot from media, because it will allow you to install Windows 11 if you have at least TPM 1.2 (instead of the minimum system requirement of TPM 2.0), and it will not verify that your processor is on the approved CPU list based on family and model of processor.

Create an image install

Use DISM or 3rd party tools to directly apply an existing Windows 11 image to the disk.

Important: An image install of Windows 11 will not check for the following requirements: TPM 2.0 (at least TPM 1.2 is required) and CPU family and model.

geezertomnc

Reaction score
Apparently it needs saying.

Wrong!! I installed Win11 this ams but don't like losing drag n drop so reverted. Win 10 worked for a while but now it wants to restart to reinstall Win11. I chatted with Microsoft who admitted that all I can do now is postpone Win11 by 35 days. I'd say that they are forcing me to upgrade!!

Ask a Question