Pinned Apps In Windows 11 Start Menu Won't Open- Is This An Unpatched Bug...?

Jennings92

Reaction score
Welp, I guess this is my 1st post here, but I'm hoping someone here can help me out with this weird issue I've had.

As the title obviously states it, this is by far 1 of most strange/bizarre issues I've noticed with Windows 11: Pinned apps don't want to open like they're supposed to which is a bit frustrating to say the least. But there are a few exceptions to this which I have noticed though:
1. Oddly enough, it works perfectly fine after a reboot but for only a certain amount of time before it just starts acting up again. [About 10 minutes or so, but I never really thought of trying to time it. ?‍♂️]

2. If I click on the All Apps section in the Start Menu if I want to open an app or something else, at least that works fine.

3. The last instance which I tend to label in this case as a "temporary solution" involves opening File Explorer, then firing up Task Manager to restart File Explorer which helps, but do bear in mind that this doesn't fix the underlying cause/issue; it's more like putting a band-aid on a broken leg.

Here are some of the facts that you should know: If anyone didn't know or notice, I have a custom setup & the specs of my pc are listed on my profile. When I did my last fresh, clean install of Windows, I actually re-created my installation media via Rufus instead of via the Media Creation Tool since it's not perfect. I used the latest ISO available from Microsoft's website. Thankfully, Windows got installed perfectly fine as always since I've done this before. Also, I already have the latest drivers, system updates, & BIOS on my system since I like to stay on top of that sort of thing anyway. I'm on version 21H2, OS Build is 22000.376. I don't have or use any sketchy type of software on my system because if you do end up downloading & using something that sounds too good to be true, it usually is & it will eventually cause system problems for you. There's some common sense for all the younger generations & misinformed people out there! ;)

Now for what I have tried on my own in terms of trying to troubleshoot/fix the issue: 1 of the 1st things I tried was running the System File Checker in Command Prompt [As admin of course.] to see if it detected any corrupt system files. It didn't find any, but I ran the Dism commands anyway, but they didn't do anything. I even went as far as trying to rebuild the search index as I heard that can help, but that didn't as well. Now 1 of things I could have done was create another account & see if the same issue occurs. But logically, if it occurs after a fresh clean install of Windows, then it most certainly will if another account was created for testing purposes. Of course I didn't bother with that because I prefer to have 1 account on my computer anyway. I remember I even made a Microsoft Community Forum post about this VERY ISSUE! But I think the possible reason I received no replies was due to how I mistakenly labeled the title plus I forgot some of the important details when I made that post. ?‍♂️1 of the last things I tried was talking about this with Microsoft & after a few screwups on their part, I finally got connected with their higher level [AKA Tier 2 support as they call it.] support team, but they weren't able to do anything after a remote support session, troubleshooting & talking about this. The best option they gave me at the time was to submit a report via the Feedback Hub & wait it out. I did just that, but there is 1 small problem: even after talking with other people/communities online, via Discord, etc, I have NO IDEA just how many Windows 11 users are out there facing this same exact issue! Or if any are for that matter. But, I'm not giving up that easily.

With that being said & after all this, I have begun to wonder if this might just be an unpatched Windows 11 bug. Of course, like I stated earlier though, I have no idea & no really reliable way of confirming this. Still, I'm hoping to talk this over with someone knowledgeable/experienced enough with Windows 11 & the issues it's had/still is experiencing & hopefully, maybe something can be worked out. I AM open to suggestions that are within reason. (y)

If I ended up forgetting something or if you need more details or wish to ask me anything, please feel free to do so & I'll get right back with you!
Thanks in advance & hope to hear back from someone who can be of help! :)

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Pinned apps don't want to open like they're supposed to
Just start menu pinned apps
OR
apps that you've pinned to the taskbar.??

Does this include true 32-bit applications like word and wordpad
OR
Only whatever fresh 3 letter acronym MS is currently using to call their app apps.??

Is it all pinned apps or just certain ones?

It sounds to me like you've got a pretty good handle on the overall issue and you're probably correct that it's a bug, maybe Tuesday we'll see and update that'll fix it.

Wondering if a pinned app is a shortcut pointing to a shortcut pointing to an app / application
OR
If it is just a copy of the initial shortcut pointing to an app / application
You mentioned that the items in the all apps menu continue to work so I wonder...
IF they are the source where the pinning begins, what then makes the result of them being pinned behave differently.
AND
Why does restarting the shell (windows explorer) seem to fix it (although I kinda get that, since it pretty much reloads the desktop)

IF the all apps menu items work and the taskbar pins work, then does the glitch only involve that tiny piece of real-estate

IDK, kinda makes my head hurt thinking about it.
But then you did say.....
ask me anything
:)

Vote:

Jennings92

Reaction score
When I said "pinned apps don't want to open like they're supposed to" I was referring to the Start Menu since it's the topic of discussion here. From what I've noticed/observed, it's been all the pinned apps in the Start Menu. Thankfully, this issue DOESN'T apply to the Taskbar cause I didn't really even mention that in my post. However, in the Microsoft Community Forum post I made a month ago, I did say that I was also having an issue where Task Manager would just crash rather randomly. It was only roughly 5 days after making that post that they rolled out update KB5008215 which included various fixes for file explorer & all that. [Not sure if that particular update did anything for the crashes related to Task Manager, but it doesn't happen NEARLY as often. So That's a plus, I guess. :D ?‍♂️]

I did make a rather strange observation between when I made this post [Today] & when you replied: While waiting on responses & for people to view this post, I took a break for some gaming & Youtube videos, etc. Now in this post I DID mention that I tried rebuilding the search index yesterday as part of troubleshooting I did. Quite literally as I'm typing out this comment, I tested out the Start Menu & I actually expected it to be acting up. But for some odd reason, the apps from the pinned section in the Start Menu ARE working!! Not sure if rebuilding the search index helped or if this will be temporary since it's working at the moment, but I'll be sure to keep a hawk eye on it. If it DOES end up coming back & giving me trouble, then I guess I probably am right about it being an unpatched bug, but that's pure speculation of course.

Yeah, overall, this issue has been quite odd & a bit of headscratcher. But at least all the experience from the last 10-ish years working with tech on my own [No college/university classes; self-taught from Youtube, articles online.] has taught me A TON & it puts quite a substantial amount of experience under my belt which comes in handy. And yes, as I stated in my post, you can ask me anything! :)

Vote:

Jennings92

Reaction score
UPDATE: I went to resume my usual activities this same evening & just when I thought things were going to return to normal, the same issue is back. ?‍♂️*sighs with headache* Looks like I'm back to square 1. ? If anyone has any helpful tips/advice/suggestions/pointers for me, I'm all ears! I'm hoping Microsoft will get back to me on that report I sent so I might have an idea of what's going, why & what can be done about it... smh

Vote:

Jennings92

Reaction score
Yeah. Unfortunately, from what I know & have heard, Microsoft still haven't rolled a fix out for this problem... yet. Hoping they will sometime soon-ish either via a Patch Tuesday update or possibly the fix might be included in the 22H2 update...? ? Nevertheless, I'm certain Microsoft is well aware of the problem & intend to roll out a fix at some point though. So at least that's the silver lining or something to look forward to like I am! :D

Vote:

Dadneo

Reaction score
@Jennings92, Mine has suddenly started working properly :S If anything faster. Todays update was "2022-03 .NET 5.0.15 Security Update for x64 Client (KB5012416)"
Nope, I thought it was fixed but the issue is back again :( last update was "2022-04 .NET 5.0.16 Update for x64 Client (KB5013354)"

Vote:

Ask a Question