Reinstall Win 11 question

PA-WOODCHUCK

Reaction score
Dell Alien R12 desktop
Originally purchased with Win 10 but I updated with win11, should I...

1- use PC recovery option and then upgrade to win which will keep all OEM software
2- reinstall win 11 which I presume will lose all original OEM software.

3- is MS still offering win11 upgrade for free?

Bighorn

Reaction score
I've done both 1 and 2 on Dells but to avoid bloatware would prefer booting to the downloaded Win10 or Win11 process provided by the MCT/Media Creation Tool, either the downloaded .iso file used to create the bootable DVD+/-R disc [no RW] or the bootable USB Thumb drive of 8GB. As usual always have a backup copy of any data you don't want to lose, that exists nowhere else. And I've done it with both Home and Pro.

An OEM computer coming with Win8/8.1/10/11 will have the license key embedded, haven't done a Retail on a custom computer yet so can't say if it is similar to what Win7 and earlier needed. The install will pick up what the original was, either Home or Pro.

One other point, Windows comes with bloatware but OEM computers also include programs that may or may not be needed, usually something like McAfee, AVG, Avast antivirus [Microsoft Security/Windows Defender has been doing fine for me] and other programs a consumer might like.

Last edited:

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but after many years of dealing with MS BS and OEM's Bloatware, I've become a Clean Install ONLY guy.

No mickey mousing around. I'd just copy my data files to a removable media, whip out my trusty Flash Drive with my Rufusized ver. of Windows 11 on it, and boot up the PC with the Flash Drive and perform the Clean Install. Programs and data files can always be installed later, as the time and need require.
In less than an hour, I can have a nice, fresh, clean install of Windows without any leftovers from any previous installs. I've already done this so many times for myself and my customers, it's not even a question anymore.
It's a must do for any OS that's gotten corrupted and is having problems.

It's always possible, that on any hour of any day, your HD can go up in Fire and Smoke. I've actually been sitting at my PC like I am right now, just typing away and I heard a pop, then my old HD screamed at me, then it let the smoke out!
OS GONE! Programs GONE! DATA GONE! Arggg! That is, except for what's safely stored in my backups.

At that point there is only one option, , , slap in a new HD and perform the dance of the Clean Install.
With proper pre-parations, that can be reduced to restoring a previous (recent) Backup of the HD.

In the case of one customer who suffered such a fiery crash, his only backup was over a year old. It was actually better to just perform the Clean install to a new HD. He's now a believer in doing and keeping current backups.

I've got a thunderstorm rolling in, with high gusty wind. Time to go!

Cheers mates!
Shadow :cool:

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question