Should I upgrade to Windows 11?

JimmyGent495

Reaction score
I am going crazy yes or no, to update to win11, heard a lot of bad things about it. Is like Microsoft wants to tell us what to run or use with our P.C.
Windows 10 is kind of like that already, my computer will run 11 but I just don't know how good or bad is 11.

tpl

Reaction score
I don't see much difference to Win 10 in what it does/can do. I am sure I only use 10% or less off the possibilities tho'

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am going crazy yes or no, to update to win11
No hurry.
Upon last check you've got until October 2025 :)
heard a lot of bad things about it.
I've nothing "bad" to say, but....
On the other hand, I haven't seen much added features and or functions that would encourage me to offer a ringing endorsement.

As for your "going crazy"...
I might suggest sampling it in a Hyper-V or other virtual machine environment
OR
Perhaps you might make a complete system image of your current install (with the imaging software of your choice), so as to have a known good means of recovering to your current state, should you decide to give it a pass for the time being.

Still early days and as of now Windows 11 allows little if any real customization to the start menu and taskbar
AND
Then there are stories of devices both internal as well as attached peripherals not working properly or at all, as well as some software packages / programs that exhibit some problems or in some instances outright failure to run at all.
Neither of which (hardware or software) is a particularly unique experience when it comes to a new Operating System.

Mickey52

Reaction score
I am finding it better then 10 and runs faster. Easy up grade all personalize settings in my case carries over to 11.

Garyw

Reaction score
If you are a tinkerer, always trying to "improve" the operating system, you probably won't like 11.

However, if you use Windows and other software as it is, you will probably be happy with it.

I strongly suggest that you make your existing setup as error free as possible before upgrading. Run all the usual troubleshooting aids, i.e. sfc /scannow, DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, check disk for errors, undo any major tweaks, and most important, make and verify a system before you start the upgrade.

I have found that upgrading a sick system often doesn't go well.

Mickey52

Reaction score
I tinker to a point and then I watch what others are running into. The up grade compared to Win10 totally seamless all special settings carried over . One software needed re installing HP printer, HP came out with Easy Start after standard up date did not work. My printer runs better then when I bought it.
Two apps malfunctioned had to un install no up dates yet Facebook Messenger and Microsoft Teams. But besides these three issues everything is purring like a kitten. Good job by Microsoft.
I bought years ago third party PC tune up it found 92 registry entries needed fixing and it removed two short cuts. Spend some money its well worth it.

Ask a Question