Sound off when mic is connected

Daniel Veres

Reaction score
Hi, I am having a curious issue with my new PC.
I connected a new microphone (USB) and according various online tests the mic is recording the sound. But in the same time, my PC sound go off (exterior speakers, connected via 6mm jack). Same thing happened previously, when I tried to switch cable to my screen, from Displayport to HDMI. Same issue - my sound went off, reconnected all cables, system asked what kind of output I connected to PC.... to no avail, as long as I had HDMI, the sound was off. As soon as I switched back to DP, sound was okay.
Does anyone have any advice? :eek:

Thank you!

Bighorn

Reaction score
No information given about the computer, its specs., but generally plugging anything into the front headset port changes the setup, turns off the rear speaker port, can screw up the USB output.

Vote:

Daniel Veres

Reaction score
Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (x64) Build 22621.2861 (22H2)
CPU: Intel Core i5-13400F Raptor Lake-S 6+4
MB: ASUS PRIME B760M-A WIFI D4 Intel B760 (Raptor Lake-S PCH)
GPU: Gainward RTX 4070 PCIe v4.0 x16 (16.0 GT/s) @ x16 (2.5 GT/s)
memory modules: 2* DDR4-3200 / PC4-25600 DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM 16GB / 1600 Mhz
SSD: 2* Samsung SSD 980 Pro 1TB
Speakers: Genius GX Gaming SW-G2 1 3000

The speakers are connected in the back port - I tried another set of speakers and connecting mic to both the front and the back port, always the same result :)

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
System spec's don't matter. HDMI includes sound, so when you plug in an HDMI cable to any Windows PC, the local sound is muted. Hopefully, the HDMI Device like a modern TV, will have it's own speakers, vol control, etc.

No-one told me that. I had to find it out all by myself. Live and learn, they always say. Eh?

Vote:

Ask a Question