Start Up Very Slow

mikep6dd

Reaction score
No matter what I do, I cannot get Windows 11 to boot with anywhere near the speed of Windows 10. I've tried various things such as reinstalling with files saved, DISM and sfc commands which find nothing amiss, disabling all start up programmes which seemed to make no difference etc. etc.

I'm beginning to lose faith with the new version and would like any assistance that can be offered to overcome this issue.

After using the pc for some time and restarting a number of times, the problem does subside but never improves to an acceptable level.

mikep6dd

Reaction score
I think I've narrowed the issue down to the power switch and Fast Start. I've selected Fast Start in Control Pane/Hardware and Sound/Power Options/Choose what the power buttons do/Change settings that are currently unavailable and ticked the first three shutdown settings (not Lock). Although ticked, the settings remain greyed out. Is this normal and if so why?

I also have the Power button set to hibernate and the Sleep button set to sleep.

Now, when I shut the PC down and select 'hibernate' from the choice presented, the PC does subsequently start up quite rapidly. However, if I choose shut down instead, which should I believe engage hibernation from my Fast Start settings, whilst the susequent restart is certainly quicker than it used to be (anything up to 3 minutes +), it is not as quick as hibernate directly and can still take up to 1.5 to 2 minutes.

I don't understand this - should they not now take the same time?

Any advice/comments would be most helpful.

StevenG

Reaction score
What I’ve found out with Win-11 is that either the Hibernate or Sleep modes do not function like in Win-10 so don't have both on, my Win-11 boots ok, well not as fast as Win-10 Pro that I had so try either the Sleep or the Hibernate modes only and not both. Unfortunately Win-11 latest version the 21H2, which the last update the "2022-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5013943)" has lots of problems and on my brand new laptop it does not install 100% and crashes half way through.

Don’t forget that this early release of Win-11 is a glorified copy of Win-10 21H2. MS is in the process of releasing a totally new update for Win-11 the version 22H2that will be rolled out at the end of May 2022 and hopefully it will fix all the annoying bugs that this first version has.

mikep6dd

Reaction score
Hello Steven

Much obliged for the response. I wasn't aware of the pending totally new update, which shouldn't be far off now, so perhaps all our problems are on borrowed time. Restart speed after a supposed 'hibernation' style shut down is still erratic. If I shutdown for a relatively short time during the day, restart can be relatively quick, but invariably when I restart at the beginning of the day after a good number of hours shutdown, restart can still take up to 3.5 minutes! That's a pretty slow 'hybernation' style start up, so roll on the end of May.

StevenG

Reaction score
Hello Steven

Much obliged for the response. I wasn't aware of the pending totally new update, which shouldn't be far off now, so perhaps all our problems are on borrowed time. Restart speed after a supposed 'hibernation' style shut down is still erratic. If I shutdown for a relatively short time during the day, restart can be relatively quick, but invariably when I restart at the beginning of the day after a good number of hours shutdown, restart can still take up to 3.5 minutes! That's a pretty slow 'hybernation' style start up, so roll on the end of May.
What is your PC model and or specs? As mine is a Nitro 5 i5-11300H with the GTX-1650 gpu and 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (2x8GB dual channel) memory and it works perfectly. But and yes 3.5 sec is far too long for this PC to wake up from either hibernation and/or sleep mode.

The Nitro 5 that I have (came OEM with Win-10 Home) which I’ve updated to Win-11 Home (with a clean install) only takes max 3 sec from “Sleep Mode” if it hasn’t gone into hibernation after a long time, and wake up from hibernation it will take max 30 sec.

There must be something not right with your PC, as you need to maintain a PC, like clean out its drive at This PC > right click to properties > Disk cleanup > and Clean up system files and you need your PC to have all the drivers and windows updates so that your system works 100%, give us more details as something is chocking your OS or PC from working at its peak performance.

Badbak

Reaction score
I have tried both methods update and clean install of win11 and clean install definitely clears up problems. Takes a bit more effort to perform but worth it.
Sleep Mode not in favor of this setting.

Ask a Question