Strange startup issue

Mickey52

Reaction score
I have a laptop sometimes when I try to start up my laptop, I get a black screen. During startup it looks normal except no image on screen after that. In order to get a screen image, I use Alt-control and delate. keys select shut down and restart screen. I first thought the battery meter thought the battery was or is too low but its 75 %. Then I thought that closing the lid I was holding power key to long.
I have all my drivers up to date so What can it be?

Laptop Dell 2in1 Inspiron 15-7586 BIOS up to date running / Win11 Home that is up to date.

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant says all drivers up to date​

RogerOver

Reaction score
Observe the position angle of the screen ! Move the angle and see what's happening !
I had a laptop, where there was a problem with the cable (inside) linking the screen to the rest of the laptop. But that's tricky. I finally opened the laptop with the screws behind at the bottom and fixed the connectors. But as I said, it's tricky !

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
thank you I will watch closely how wide the screen is, yesterday it was not as wide as it is today, and my startup was normal with screen showing all that it is supposed to be.
one person thought I was holding down the power button to long. Your ideal makes more sense, opening screen wider easier then messing with connector.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
one person thought I was holding down the power button to long.
Usually pressing the power button doesn't fully shut down the computer but holding it down for 8 to 10 seconds does. However, there is always power to the computer unless removing the power source/s.

The old AT style computers had the power switch connected directly to the power supply but as ATX computers came about the switch is connected to the motherboard and pressing it tells the motherboard to get things started.

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
screen angle has nothing to do with it I tried it. Has to be the battery meter when I have the computer plugged in before starting the computer from a fully shut down statis.
This afternoon when I look at again I will start from a lid closed/sleep statis/ plugged into battery. To see if it starts correctly.

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
still had black screen after start up angle of screen did not change things, ran troubleshooter for power it found three issues? Now start up is better no black screen, failed to find out what three things troubleshooter found.

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
whatever the three things Troubleshooter fix on "power" for two days now my startup is normal. I wish I knew what it fixed, just to know nothing in my troubleshooter history.

Vote:

Ask a Question