The old Windows solitaire games

tpl

Reaction score
They have done it. The latest update in the Dev channel and now those old games, the W7, W8 ones, won't load. For some ideological thing at MS they have disappeared on every major update since 2019 (W10 and W11) and have had to be reloaded, although the scores were preserved. There is a package on Winaero which has worked for years until this last weekend.
I may actually submit a bug report this time!

davehc

Reaction score
I dropped out of the Insiders a while ago. But, if you are in - particularly the dev channel, that is not an unusual occurence. Games are not an essential part of the OS, for development puposes, and as such could have been deliberatly left out.
You can certaily submit a bug report, that is what the insider membership is all about, but I doubt it will receive a great deal of attention.

MurraySobol

Reaction score
I get a "Weekly Rewards, "Win 3 games to unlock the Bonus Game".
What is the definition of "Win 3 games to unlock the Bonus Game"; I have one more than 3 games but the game numbers 1,2 and 3 and
3 are not check off; therefore no chance to play "Bonus Game".
Also it resets every few days.
How do get to pay the "Bonus Games"?
BTW: there a 4 cards similar to what I have described above.

rfsmith7

Reaction score
I'm on the latest Beta build, 22610.1. Every time there's a new build, these games are removed but I just re-install them from Winaero. Still working fine for me after re-installation.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
From the OLD Windows Games, I keep "Sol.exe and Cards.dll" on my Utilities Disk, and I install them into every new install,
Sorry, but I just don't like the looks of the new Solitaire games.
As long as I have Sol.exe and cards.dll in the same directory, somewhere in the computer, I can make a shortcut to Sol.exe and put that shortcut on my desktop, where I can play it anytime I want.

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi @The Shadow 2023.
You just moved up a couple of threads on this forum, that date as far as May 2022. And addtionnaly you didn't give answers.
What is your aim ?
Pls explain.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes, or miss-spoke.
I just wanted to express how I personally take my Solitaire with me, on a Flash Drive. I don't expect Windows to supply it for me. Anyone can do what I do, if they really love an OLD program, game or otherwise. That was my aim and intention.
:cool:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
It's obvious to me, that at least one member is not a fan of the old games, but I started playing Solitaire back in 1990, before windows. I still play it today, here on Windows 11/Pro/64.
As long as Sol.exe and cards.dll are in the same folder, it plays just like it did 33 years ago.
Some years ago, I found those files on the internet for download. "The Truth is Out There".
:cool:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I've been playing Sol.exe for 33 years now, so I'm getting pretty good at it. It's not quite as cerebral as Chess, but it definitely IS a strategy game. Winning one or two games in a row, is pretty good, but winning six in a row is REALLY DANG GOOD!
I try to not only win, but I try to win in the least amount of time.
It was quite a few years ago now, when I learned when and where to use the Right Click Mouse button. It can really speed up a game.

Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:

Bighorn

Reaction score
I use the Solitaire from WinXP and correct, the right-click is handy. Same for Mahjong Titans from Win7.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I love Mahjong, but the only copy I have, and really like, I purchased on a 3.5" Floppy Disk, about 30+ years ago.
It will still run on Win-7/pro/32 but not on any of my 64 bit machines.
So I'm stuck with playing Solitaire, at least an hour a day. It helps me relax in the evening, before going to bed.
MahJonggW8.jpg
This may have been on windows 8.1/Pro/x86.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Of course you don't recognize it! That theme was just one of many, on the game I bought on a 3.5" Floppy disk, back about 1990, give or take a year, or two. I'm sure you would recognize it, if you had bought that same floppy game disk.Mahjongg.jpg

I'd venture a guess, that this is a 16 bit program that will run on some 32 bit OS's.
If I want to play it, I have to boot up my old Win-7, 32 bit, OS on my ancient eMachine.
I always loved that particular theme, because it's nice and bright and easy to see, for old eyes.
That's another "Strategy" game, and great for stimulating "Hand to Eye" coordination.
I loved playing it, Against The Clock.

The only hint as to the author, is "Titanium Seal All Rights Reserved" on the label. Wikipedia did an article on "Titanium Seal" software. It's over 30 years old now.

Bighorn

Reaction score
I could play it if I had it, still have a usable Toshiba Laptop with MS-DOS 6 and Windows 3.1. And if I'm remembering correctly have some 3.5" floppies with games. Also have WinXP and Win7 computers.

Ask a Question