Windows 11 ARM: Hyper-V and GNU/linux VM

alfredino

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a laptop with windows 11 ARM and snapdragon 8cx SoC. I tried different virtual machines managers, but the only one that I was able to install is hyper-V (no virtual box or vmware, not supported CPU).
I followed the standard procedure to create a virtual machine, but I was not able to install any OS (even the default supported). I get this error.
error.jpg

The same problem is already reported here. Do you have any suggestion?
Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Hi,

I solved the problem and found something useful for people using windows ARM and hyper-v. I couldn't use any preconfigured virtual machine available (ubuntu 18-20-22 or windows msix, haven't tried windows 11 dev) with quick create on hyper-V. So I am pretty sure that hyper-v downloads the x86_64 version of the virtual machines instead of the arm version.

I was able to install ubuntu for arm and debian for arm and then any other arm-based GNU/linux distro by disabling the secure boot function in hyper-V. So the problem is solved.

Thanks

alfredino

Reaction score
Hi,

I solved the problem and found something useful for people using windows ARM and hyper-v. I couldn't use any preconfigured virtual machine available (ubuntu 18-20-22 or windows msix, haven't tried windows 11 dev) with quick create on hyper-V. So I am pretty sure that hyper-v downloads the x86_64 version of the virtual machines instead of the arm version.

I was able to install ubuntu for arm and debian for arm and then any other arm-based GNU/linux distro by disabling the secure boot function in hyper-V. So the problem is solved.

Thanks

Attachments

• secure boot.png
    secure boot.png
    417.1 KB · Views: 1

Vote:
Solution

Ask a Question