Cannot shut down Windows from Shutdown button

PeterL

Reaction score
After months of trying I still cannot shut down windows from the shut down button, I have to use the power off button for 4 seconds, I have disabled fast startup have not tried in Safe Mode because I have great difficulty in getting out of Safe Mode

Sir_George

Reaction score
After months of trying I still cannot shut down windows from the shut down button, I have to use the power off button for 4 seconds, I have disabled fast startup have not tried in Safe Mode because I have great difficulty in getting out of Safe Mode
The website listed below has some suggestions that may provide a solution.

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
If it were a real button, I'd have to say that it's broke, but of course, it is not.
But since back around Win-98 I've used a Quick Shutdown shortcut Icon on my desktop or quick launch tool bar. (taskbar)
The syntax for the Quick Shutdown has changed a little over the years, but it's not changed since Win-8.1.
Here's the syntax for the Shortcut I use to shut down my computer(s).
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 1

There are three spaces in that line, but they should be apparent, and necessary.
Make a desktop shortcut with that command line, and see if that won't shut down your computer for you.
Good Luck,
Shadow :cool:

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I knew I had this someplace, but I really had to LOOK for it.
This little registry script can shorten shutdown times.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Shorten shutdown time. Time is in milliseconds.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="1000"

You can put that into a Registry Script file, or just do it manually, in "Regedit" .
That little .reg script is just one of many that I run when first setting up any version of Windows.
:cool:

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Unlike the solution in the tutorial in post #2, my own Quick Shutdown shortcut, encompasses an additional switch, the "/t 1" . That switch tells the shutdown command to terminate all running programs, within 1 second. A Zero in that position is not acceptable.
A higher number than "1" is acceptable, but is just a waste of time.
I did not invent this quick shutdown shortcut. Someone much smarter that I did.
But, I've used it now for many years, on all of my own PC's, and the PC's of hundreds of my customers. Y'all, give it a try.
Put that shortcut in your Task Bar, for a ONE CLICK Shutdown.
Cheers Mates!
:cool:
PS: Even on my old and slow PC, Windows 11 shuts down in around five seconds.

Vote:

PeterL

Reaction score
If it were a real button, I'd have to say that it's broke, but of course, it is not.
But since back around Win-98 I've used a Quick Shutdown shortcut Icon on my desktop or quick launch tool bar. (taskbar)
The syntax for the Quick Shutdown has changed a little over the years, but it's not changed since Win-8.1.
Here's the syntax for the Shortcut I use to shut down my computer(s).
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 1

There are three spaces in that line, but they should be apparent, and necessary.
Make a desktop shortcut with that command line, and see if that won't shut down your computer for you.
Good Luck,
Shadow :cool:
Thank you for your suggestion, I made a shortcut with that command in it but my PC said 'shutting down' but never did, closed down the system disc but left the power light on so I had to use the hard shtudown button again.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Disable "hibernation": just to test; see https://www.howtogeek.com/868748/how-to-disable-hibernation-on-windows-10/

The easiest way is to find the "cmd prompt", it's now called "Terminator" (run as administrator), by rightclicking the start button and type:

"powercfg.exe /hibernate OFF" (without quotes) into the Terminal (administrator)

Then try to shut down.

If it works you can then set hibernation to "on" again, by typing:

powercfg.exe /hibernate ON

If you want to resolve the problem permanently, you probably need to go into your "power options" as explained further down in the above link !

Vote:

Ask a Question