Cannot istall 22h2

Ernie K

Reaction score
Hi All
I hope I am in the correct place.
I am having problems installing the 22h2 update as follows.

First PC makeup:
Dell Vostro 3515 -
Secure boot disabled (in BIOS) -
Win 11 Prof 22h1 -
Local Account (Administrator acc)
Memory Integraty OFF.

When offered (numerous times) update to 22h2 I recieve an error (please see attached jpg) for details which is the easiest way to show \ describe error.
I cannot see or think of a reason for this failure as I am admin for win 11 (I am the only person who uses laptop).
Is MS trying to force me to sign-in with Microsoft Account to install 22h2? If so is easy to revert back to local account?
PLeqase let me know if you need more info.
Ernie

Attachments

• 22h2 Failure.jpg
    22h2 Failure.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 11

Sir_George

Reaction score
Hi All

First PC makeup:
Dell Vostro 3515 -
Win 11 Prof 22h1 -
Memory Integraty OFF.

When offered (numerous times) update to 22h2 I recieve an error (please see attached jpg) for details which is the easiest way to show \ describe error.
I cannot see or think of a reason for this failure as I am admin for win 11 (I am the only person who uses laptop).
Is MS trying to force me to sign-in with Microsoft Account to install 22h2? If so is easy to revert back to local account?
Ernie
Check the video below for instruction on how to install Windows 11 22h2 without an MS Account.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Hi All

First PC makeup:
Dell Vostro 3515 -
Win 11 Prof 22h1 -
Memory Integraty OFF.

Ernie

There's no way to UPDATE from previous / existing build to 22H2 via update since Microsoft has disabled the bypass sign-in via Local Account. The method bypassing to Local Account only works with "Clean / Fresh Install" ..

If you are asking, where can you download Windows 11 22h2 you can use the link below.

thanks, but im on 22H2 build 22623.755 .. with perfectly updated till today :)

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Ernie.
Open Windows explorer and delete everything in the folder

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Log out and in again and then check the updates again.

If that doesnt do it, create another account and try again.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Ernie.
Open Windows explorer and delete everything in the folder

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Log out and in again and then check the updates again.

If that doesnt do it, create another account and try again.

additional info .. accessing C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download requires Administrator permission, I mean"Take Ownership" method .. :)

and this method by deleting any LOG related folders under Windows, System32, SysWow64 and SoftwareDistribution will not work, and creating another account will just forced to be under Microsoft's, due to download and upgrade restrictions .. trust me, it won't work

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
All the deletion actually does, is totall, y clear the download cache. Windows will then re download anything in the queue with the possibility of corruption or blockage from the original. It is certainly worth the effort!

But, the other small problem, I have always used a Microsoft account. I do not understand the suspicion that users have when needing to do so.
But, as the OP remarks, easily done

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I was on 21H2 before and frustrated because some of the latest and nice features released months after on 22H2 .. damn, what I did was just backup my important documents and installed W11Pro (original ISO from Microsoft) via RUFUS, since my machine is not TPM compatible .. so I just bypassed the TPM recognition available in RUFUS burning feature also never force Microsoft Account validation as prior installation ..

let me get the video of my W11Pro22H2 shortly, and its fully post-mortem OS as well personally done by me .. :)

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Right. I have installed Windows 11 on several incompatible Laptops. It is several weeks, though, since the last, so maybe a few requirements have changed.
Never used Rufus. I choose the option to download to a bootable USB or, more usual, just download to a spare folder and Mount and run the setup from there.

Bearing in mind the "incompatible" requirements - Always a fresh install, which bypasses those needs (or used to!) and elect to keep my data.

By the way. There is mention of "Take ownership" on several threads recently. Maybe new users are not familiar with the utility. It bypasses the tedious need to change the security in the properties of any particular folder or program. It is very old and, until MS find a way to cripple it, still works.

Readers can download it here: (The original home site)

or here:

Last edited:

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
@davehc .. tats what I have here, even few more, since I like to play system files ..and for some newbies out there should be more careful to use these commands..

kudos to your answer as well :)

1670322132243.png

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
What do you all mean by "Fresh install" ?

He Ernie K is already on WIN 11!

In this situation (justa Windows 11 upgrade), I did my most very recent Windows 11 installation (Win 22H2) without a Microsoft account in the following way:
(1) Downloaded the media creation tool.
(2) Media creation tool asks whether to install directly or to create USB or ISO.
(3) Put a completely idle USB key (formatted !) in the slot.
(4) when asked, tell media creation tool to put Windows 11 (22 H 2) on the USB. Otherwise you could create an ISO.
(5) when WIN 11 is completely downloaded (1/2 an hour ?), open the USB or mount the ISO and click "install".
(6) when asked, chose to keep all your files and folders ("inplace upgrade") !
(7) When you reach the point where the installer asks you to create a Microsoft account, disconnect completely from the internet (remove the ethernet cable from you computer or remove power plug from your router) and then give in a non existing e-mail address: xxx@yyy or 123@xyz or whatever you want. Do this several times. Windows will give up and you will be allowed to continue and install with a local account.
(7a) Then restart internet connection.
(8) When finished, all you files, folders and installed programs will be there and there will be a folder "Windows.old" (backup) in your C:\ = root folder. Keep it a few days, just in case. Then delete the windows.old folder. But you cannot simply delete it, you need to use "cleanmgr.exe" which is to be found in C:\Windows\System32. You need yo tick the box "old windows versions" and start the program.
That's it !

Edit: sorry, forgot the most important point, see in red !

Last edited:

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
I believe you have answered your own question. That is a “fresh”. Install, rather than accepting the uograde.
I said earlier that I do, by default, use an ms account. Long time since, and my memory fails me, but I was certain that, when it got to the requirement to put in the ms account details there was an option to bypass it?
I think the op is familiar with the installation procedure, but cannot get it started, with his attached comment.
Maybe still with us, but he may have left the building?

Last edited:

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I then mixed up "fresh install" and "clean install". But I don't think that a "fresh install" ("inplace upgrade") is more complicated than an update via Microsoft update. In any case you keep all your files and folders, ... .... which then is the difference to a "clean install".

Just to tell you, because you mentionned it. The option to bypass the Microsoft account is effectively not offered anymore.

Vote:

Ask a Question