Windows 11 August Patch Tuesday Updates Arrive for 22H2 (KB5029263) & 21H2 (KB5029253)

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
1691561864339.png
Microsoft has released Tuesday Patch updates for Windows 11 22H2 (KB5029263) and 21H2 (KB5029253). Update increased 22H2 to Build 22621.2134 and 21H2 to Build 22000.2295. Please note that many of the highlights and improvements below are from the updates that were rejected at the end of July.

Spotlight​

• This update addresses security issues for your Windows operating system.
  • This update makes the brightness setting more precise.
  • This update addresses issues affecting certain display and audio devices. They disappear after your system returns from sleep.
  • This update addresses issues affecting the Widget. They quit the taskbar when you don't expect it.
  • This update addresses issues affecting virtual private networks (VPNs). There may be excessive Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) requests to get the network path. This happens when the VPN is on a wireless mesh network that uses an aggressive throttling algorithm. Therefore, network performance is not good.
Both of these updates are available through Windows Update and should install automatically in time, however, if you need to download them for offline installation, get them from the Microsoft Update Catalog (22H2, 21H2).

Last edited:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
For those not too familiar with Malaysian, you might prefer this :

I am also managing Windows 11 discussion thread in our Malaysian forum as well, I have copied the Malay version to here LOL 🤭

Edited with English version. TQ for noticing it .. @davehc

davehc

Reaction score
No prob. Lol. old age is getting to me struggling between English and Danish (where I have retired.

By the way. You r ein west malaysi. I lived in Bangsar/KL for a couple of years. Wonderful country (I loved the street food:LOL:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Yes, I'm from West Malaysia .. a capital town somewhere about 20 minutes drive downtown Bangsar / Kuala Lumpur (y)

Bighorn

Reaction score
Got the updates done yesterday, 2 Desktops [Pro and Home] and 2 Notebooks [Pro and Home]. No issues seen yet. Also got the update for Win10 2 Deskops and some Notebooks, mix of Pro and Home.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Windows 11 KB5029263 Is Causing Issues For Some Users

Windows 11 KB5029263 update is failing to install on many systems, and users have also alleged the security patch broke the new ‘Microsoft Defender’ app. KB5029263 is the August 2023 Patch Tuesday update, and it fixes one of the most annoying bugs that slowed down SSDs across a fleet of devices. Microsoft rolled out KB5029263 on August 8 to all devices outside the software maker’s testing program. As mentioned, Windows 11’s August 2023 update patches the SSD bug and fixes an issue that broke specific display and audio devices. The patch also fixed an issue that affects widgets and virtual private networks (VPN).​

1692699170564.png

The update is a mandatory security patch, which will download and install automatically. As a result, some users are getting notifications from Windows Update that the update has failed to install. The August 2023 update is failing to install for many users. As noted by our readers and echoed by users in Feedback Hub, the Windows 11 KB5029263 (August 9) update won’t install, and they cannot dismiss it, with one user noting they have a “red dot warning on the taskbar that will not go away”.

Another user added the cumulative update process is stuck at 96% on their systems, and reboot does not help as the process starts all over again to get stuck. Some have also highlighted issues with File Explorer where explorer.exe freezes, with one user explaining in a Feedback Hub post: “On 12th Aug 2023, my system was automatically updated with the patches KB5029263 and KB5028948, and I noticed that the explorer could no longer open any folder or a file. The application loaded up, but it just would not work”.​

1692699160443.png

We’re also seeing reports of the Microsoft Defender app (a new hub to manage all devices linked to Microsoft 365) failing to launch with an error message “Unable to log into Microsoft Defender”. It’s unclear how a cumulative update broke Defender, but it’s likely related to the security fixes bundled in the patch. A Microsoft engineer confirmed that the company plans to fix issues with the Microsoft Defender app in the coming days via an update.

Reference https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/08/16/windows-11-kb5029263-is-causing-issues-for-some-users

Ask a Question