Can i change my 'user' folder name in windows 11?

james_uk

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently done a new install of windows 11.
I don't recall the installation asking me for a name for my user folder, but it has set one that's just a partial part of my email address, and I want it to just be my first name.

Is there any way to change this now it's all installed?
Regards
James

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I don't recall the installation asking me for a name for my user folder, but it has set one that's just a partial part of my email address, and I want it to just be my first name.

Regards
James​

You can't change the folder username after completion of Windows 11 installation, you can only change the logon username .. the active user folder remains unchanged ..

You may refer to my previous reply here and the method to install with preferred username from the beginning https://www.windows11forums.com/threads/how-to-install-windows-11-with-a-local-account.274/post-7010

:)

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
The method works as this from my above reply, burn Windows 11 ISO via RUFUS and create local account with desired name eg. James and then after complete the installation and sign in with your Microsoft account, where the user folder James remains unchanged :)

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
If you do not want to create a new user account, but just create a new user profile name (because windows automatically sets a 5 digit user name, and you can't change this during a normal installation): it can be done, but it's a bit complicated:

Good luck !

Edited (rest deleted), because mixed up with new user account !

Last edited:

Vote:

Sir_George

Reaction score

Regards
James
Visit the website at the link below for details regarding changing your user folder name.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
The process in the linked page that @Sir George posted is what I use, create a new Local Account with Administrative Rights, log off then restart into the new account followed by removing the old account. Only caveat, the new name has to be at least one character different from the one to be removed or things will merge into only one folder, harder to deal with.

Vote:

Ask a Question