Language in Windows system folders changes on its own

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a computer setup in French. I am on Windows 11, 22H 2, version 22621.963. It is the only language on this PC.

Suddenly (was it a Windows update ?), some system folders switched to English.

I am not too much worried, because I had this before.
But it is very strange, please see attached screenshot.

I took the folder "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Startup\Programs" as an example, but there are others.
The situation is similar in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs":
Capture.PNG
  1. The "Accessibily" folder is suddenly written with an "y", it should finish with an "é" (blue cercle).
  2. The next folder is in French ("Accessoires"), black cercle.
  3. The next one is again in English, don't recall the French name (green cercle).
  4. "Startup" is in English, despite the fact that in the title, it says "Démarrer" (red circles).

But then it went even worse: today I was working with Inkscape, and suddenly the whole program with all menus changed to English.
I reinstalled Inkscape and everything seems fine now again.

Then, for security reasons, I made a fresh install (upgrade install, not a clean install) of Windows 11, but the situation persists at the level of the above mentionned system folders.

Did you already had similar experiences ?

(I am now thinking that my userprofile is corrupt, and I always found it a nightmare to create a new user profile. ... I have already done it, but, as I said, it is a nightmare)!

Last edited:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Ok, I found it.
Those icons in the two above quted Program Folders are only shortcus / links. They change language, when I change their icon color or the icon itself.
Does anyone know how to reset them to default ?

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
not sure about others, I set my locale to my country and English (en_us) as default, all other languages found in System32 nd SysWow64 is permanently deleted .. giving me extra 2 - 3GB space :D

Vote:

Ask a Question