Windows 11 Windows File Explorer Issue

STS

Reaction score
Windows File Explorer opening is erratic. The screen displays “working on it” for a long time or without end. Constant reboots and restarts do not immediately help but then suddenly it works.

It is however important to note that all the drives causing “working on it” in Explorer are fully accessible/navigable when using Power Shell. Even at the same instance that explorer shows “working on it”.

All the current documented “fixes” do not solve the issue. The machine is not connected to the Internet.

badbak82

Reaction score
Windows File Explorer opening is erratic. The screen displays “working on it” for a long time or without end. Constant reboots and restarts do not immediately help but then suddenly it works.

It is however important to note that all the drives causing “working on it” in Explorer are fully accessible/navigable when using Power Shell. Even at the same instance that explorer shows “working on it”.

All the current documented “fixes” do not solve the issue. The machine is not connected to the Internet.
First connect the machine to the internet to receive the latest win 11 updates

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
As badbak says. There are several items on your computer that require an internet connection. It is probably delayed searching and not finding them

Vote:

STS

Reaction score
Work around discovered! (doing Microsoft’s work!)

Power up the machine (don’t go into any application)
Immediately restart
File explorer then works

Does anyone else find that this works? Is so, do they have the physical TPN module that was originally required for Windows 11 installation or not?

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Did you enable the internet connection?
Not clear on your second query? I am, right now, using an incompatible machine without TPM 2.0. I have never had problems with File explorer

Vote:

thisispointless

Reaction score
Did you enable the internet connection?
Not clear on your second query? I am, right now, using an incompatible machine without TPM 2.0. I have never had problems with File explorer
You don't need an internet connection to use Windows File Explorer. The File Explorer is just the window that opens when you want to look at the files you've saved on your computer. Windows Explorer is the name of the old browser that Microsoft used to use. Now it's Microsoft Edge. Browsers are for websites. File Explorers are for locally stored files.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
You don't need an internet connection to use Windows File Explorer. The File Explorer is just the window that opens when you want to look at the files you've saved on your computer. Windows Explorer is the name of the old browser that Microsoft used to use. Now it's Microsoft Edge. Browsers are for websites. File Explorers are for locally stored files.
The thread has a few diversions! I was referring to an earlier post, regarding updating. The original reference was to Windows file explorer

Vote:

Marsha Sue

Reaction score

This happened to me 4 days ago (05-28-22) With Windows 11, My Tech backed up everything and had to replace the SSD drive.

Vote:

Ask a Question