Windows file explorer not working

adil10899

Reaction score
As the title states, the file explorer isn't working. I upgraded to windows 11 pro from windows 10 pro. On my w10 system, i was using "files", a third-party file explorer i downloaded from the microsoft store. When i upgraded to windows 11, i found the default file explorer better and decided to "uninstall" files. I did that how i typically uninstall software and apps from my system; I go to settings, apps & features and uninstall. But for some reason, when i try to open file explorer from the task bar, it gives me an error saying "This app does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.". If i open file explorer by some other means, by opening "documents" or "downloads" from the start menu, when i try opening a folder, it gives me an error saying "Application not found". If i right click file explorer on the task bar and click on "File Explorer", nothing happens. In the Default Settings page, File Explorer is set to open "EXPLORER.BURNSELECTION", "EXPLORER.ERASEDISC" & "EXPLORER.ZIPSELECTION".

Things i have found on the internet and have tried:

- I tried performing the "sfc /scannow" in CMD and Windows Powershell
- I tried performing the "dism" command in CMD and Windows Powershell
- I tried performing both commands in safe mode
- I reset default apps
- I cleared file explorer cache
- I restarted file explorer from the task manager
- I restarted my computer several times

Ask a Question