Windows Partition: How to Fix BSOD with Low Memory Warning

Destino

Reaction score
It started when I used to get a warning of low memory in the Windows partition. Then one day it just wont boot. The only thing is BSOD.

I tried Automatic repair but would get the error "Automatic repair couldn’t repair your PC". Uninstall updates didn't work. For the system restore, I don't remember that I had made a restore point.

Then I tried to copy the boot records, and gave me memory is full.

I have read about booting with a Bootable Windoows Instalation disk, but didnt try that yet. What do you think is the best way forward to fix it ?

RogerOver

Reaction score
What about Memtest (boot from an an emptied / formated) USB stick? https://www.memtest86.com/
May be there is really a problem with your memory ? But don't worry: if it's repairable, Memtest can do that.
(You probably need to direct your BIOS to boot from the stick).

Sir_George

Reaction score
It started when I used to get a warning of low memory in the Windows partition. Then one day it just wont boot. The only thing is BSOD.

I tried Automatic repair but would get the error "Automatic repair couldn’t repair your PC". Uninstall updates didn't work. For the system restore, I don't remember that I had made a restore point.

Then I tried to copy the boot records, and gave me memory is full.

I have read about booting with a Bootable Windoows Instalation disk, but didnt try that yet. What do you think is the best way forward to fix it ?
It would be helpful if you posted your system specs.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
A BSOD is your computer screaming out for HELP!
it's sort of like the brakes on your car Screaming, because the wear indicator is dragging on the brake rotor.
That means it's time to replace the brake pads.
So on your computer what are you going to do to stop the Screaming?

It's been so many years, since I've had to troubleshoot a BSOD, that I can't even tell you where to start.
But, I'll bet if I had that PC here on my work bench, I could fix it. I'm retired so my work bench doesn't get much action.

But, I've always liked to get the easy stuff out of the way first. Check the RAM by running "Memtest86+" from some bootable media, like a CD or Flash Drive.
If I can get to the CMOS battery, I always like to check its voltage with my Digital Volt Meter. If the voltage on the battery is anything under 3.0vdc, that battery gets tossed in the trash, and a NEW one installed in its place. Also, if that battery is 3 or 4 years or more old, that one also gets tossed, because it's getting close to its failure point.

Good Luck,
TM :cool:

Destino

Reaction score
@ The Shadow
It is like my laptop is saying How many times did I warn you of Low memory in the windows partition and you didn't listen!
The laptop is relatively new and not heavily used, so the CMOS should be fine. I will do the Memtest86+. All noted ,thanks for all the advice.

@ RogerOver
I have downloaded and will Run Sea Tools Bootable. Was also advised to create a bootable Windows 11 Media Creation Tool (MCT) (Windows 11 iso). I will do the Memtest86+ too (have to find a spare USB for it :) )

@ Sir George
Dell 7306 Inspiron 2in1 16G 512 SSD

Will keep you updated. Thanks All .

Henk

Reaction score
It isn't a too small or corrupted pagefile, is it?

Last edited:

Henk

Reaction score
Press Ctrl-Ald-Del, select the Taskmanager and Memory and you can see if there is any room left in the Pagefile.

Bighorn

Reaction score
I hadn't noticed this post earlier, my. first response would have been there's 2 types of memory terms, one is RAM/Random Access Memory which is in use only while the computer is running, it's volatile and turning off power to it deletes its contents. The other term is for storage memory, that's the data stored on a drive or partition on a drive, it remains there until either replaced/updates or deleted. Both types use the same sizing term, KiloByte, MegaByte, GigaByte or TeraByte. Drives are available up into TeraByte, RAM currently in GigaByte. The installation of Windows is in a partition on a drive and problems exist when that partition fills up, gives any Operating System no room to do its work. BSODs and non-booting issues frequently occur when a drive is starting to go bad, required data is getting corrupted or not being read correctly and can't run. So far I haven't experienced any issues with the computers I have that use SSD/Solid State Drives [no moving parts like with HDD/Hard Disk Drives] but have seen posts about some issues with them.

Destino

Reaction score
Sorry guys for late reply. I had given up on fixing it for a while, no fixes seemed to work,
@Henk
Cant reach task manager as windows wont boot. System boots into Automatic repair environment.

@Bighorn
Most probable the RAM is fine. And the Hardisk is fine too, as the ran the preboot tests from the BIOS and were successful, no issues reported.
probably the memory warning I used to get prior to when windows stooped to boot was due to the windows partition got full and the windows loader/ BCD got corrupted.

I made a SeaToolsBootable USB to test the SSD drive, it failed to boot properly and got stuck in the process of loading.

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_161823.jpg
    IMG_20231015_161823.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20231015_161849_edit_135890567512597.jpg
    IMG_20231015_161849_edit_135890567512597.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Bighorn

Reaction score
As for the USB not booting, could be the Secure Boot or Fast Boot in the BIOS is getting in the way. I see it happening with Linux LiveDVD booting on a Windows machine. Could be the difference between MBR, GPT and UEFI settings.

Henk

Reaction score
The error "CPU temperature above threshold" shows up, that means that the CPU fan should be cleaned?

yodap

Reaction score
Being a laptop, a vacuum at the intake and exhaust is worth a try then open it up and have a look. The cooling fan may have died.

Destino

Reaction score
These are screenshots of the HDSentinel test. As can be seen from the test Drive health is 99% and there aren't errors. However drives E,F,G and H size and free space are all marked with a question mark. What does that indicate ?

deli7306 1.JPG, deli7306 6.JPG, deli7306 2.JPG, deli7306 5.JPG, deli7306 23JPG.JPG, deli7306 4.JPG

I attempted to download HDtune, the free version as I didnt want to pay the $35 for the Pro version. But free version doesnt support Windows 8.1 , which is the what I am working on on my functional laptop.
Supported operating systems: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7.

Ask a Question