Any way to stop mouse going off screen when turning off 2nd monitor?

james_uk

Reaction score
Hi, I have a system that I use for both personal and work.

When working, I use a 2nd monitor, and just want to leave this connected and don't want to keep plugging and unplugging it daily.

I am finding, when I turn the 2nd monitor off, my mouse still goes right off the screen as if it was still on.
Is there any way to set it so that when I turn it off, my system knows to fully stop the mouse going off screen?

Obviously, if I take the HDMI lead out the port out, it instantly stops.

Regards
James

Bighorn

Reaction score
Hi, I have a system that I use for both personal and work.

When working, I use a 2nd monitor, and just want to leave this connected and don't want to keep plugging and unplugging it daily.

I am finding, when I turn the 2nd monitor off, my mouse still goes right off the screen as if it was still on.
Is there any way to set it so that when I turn it off, my system knows to fully stop the mouse going off screen?

Obviously, if I take the HDMI lead out the port out, it instantly stops.

Regards
James
I don't use dual monitors but am curious.
Does the same situation exist if pulling the power cord out of the monitor?
Could it be the monitor is like Desktop computers, always has power to it even if seemingly off?
If that's the case the computer and mouse are detecting the monitor is still on.

A thought about the power to that second monitor, if things work properly with it's power disconnected how about adding a power bar/strip with only that monitor plugged into it then just use the switch on the power bar to turn the power off. It could be located within easy reach and only cost $20-$40 in the USA, if surge protection is included would be more.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
By default Windows doesn't include any built-in tools for locking down your mouse to a single monitor when you add a second monitor (although some full-screen games and applications will do it by default). The Dual Monitor Tools application is the best way to control your mouse with dual monitors.

Hope below guide helps :)
Download Dual Monitor Tools and install it.

1707835181165.png

Right-click or tap-and-hold the tray icon for Dual Monitor Tools and select Options.

1707835187474.png

Select Sticky under the Cursor heading in the left-hand menu.

1707835193184.png

Next to Lock cursor onto screen select Change, then tick the Enable this Hotkey box, input your chosen command, and press OK.​

Vote:

MikeHawthorne

Reaction score
I remember having something like that a long time ago, it made a difference which monitor was set as number one and which one was monitor two.

Vote:

Ask a Question