Cannot login (use laptop) when Internet connection is unavailable

x2believe

Reaction score
Is it possible to login to a laptop running Windows 11 when no Internet connection is available?

My parents recently upgraded their laptop (while at home where they have an Internet connection) from Windows 10 to Windows 11. My parents travel frequently in their RV and use their laptop in remote locations where Internet is not available. My father was furious that he could not even use his laptop when no Internet was available. I was sure there was some mistake and he wasn't doing something correctly. He has dropped the laptop off to me and it seems that is truly the case. Even in Airplane mode, it still will not allow access to the computer without an Internet connection.

I MUST be missing something here. This does not seem logical. Has Microsoft truly decided that devices running Windows 11 can only be used when an Internet connection is available? Is this "portable" computer useless away from home, or is there a way to login without an Internet connection?

Thanks in advance!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have a laptop running Windows 11, nor a machine that relies on WiFi for an internet connection, so....
This is not exactly an apples to apples test comparison.

I unplugged my ethernet cable from my desktop Windows 11 machine, booted it up, typed in my PIN and everything worked fine, so I logged off and then back on, still no problem. I then shut it down completely and restarted and again typed in my PIN and all seems good.

I was hoping that I might be able to duplicate your experience but unfortunately I could not.
Perhaps another member who actually has a laptop running Windows 11 will be able to contribute something more beneficial.

I assume he is using a Microsoft Account?
Is he using a PIN to login?

Can we assume that once internet service is restored to the device that everything works as expected?

x2believe

Reaction score
He is using a Microsoft Account, but I don't believe he has a PIN. He only uses a password.

Is the PIN number generation done during setup, and was it a required step of the setup? I can ask him if he has a PIN. However, I am never prompted for it. After clicking the "Sign in" link, I receive only the error:

Microsoft Account
You'll need the Internet for this.

It doesn't look like you're connected to the Internet. Check your connection and try again.

x2believe

Reaction score
@Trouble, you got me out of trouble. Thank you!!!

I had him put in his password and it immediately prompted/nagged for him to create his PIN that would be "stored only on this device." I had him add his PIN. Restarted, put it back in Airplane mode to simulate his RV location, and BOOM. It prompted for the PIN and immediately logged in.

Thank you!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is the PIN number generation done during setup, and was it a required step of the setup?
Yes, but not required (you can choose to skip it)
It can be configured at any time under Setting -> Accounts -> Sign in options

Capture.jpg

I have mine configured to only use "Windows Hello" and as a consequence am only prompted for a PIN

You never know when it comes to portable devices, as they can use any number of other methods, fingerprint scanners, facial recognition, etc.,

Glad to hear you managed to get it sorted.
Thanks for the followup

Ask a Question