Local account - login always reverts to PIN

chmillman

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time posting here, I think the last time I was on Win8 Forums... :cool:

New install of Win 11 Home, upgraded over an OEM install of Win 10 Home which was supplied with this new HP computer. Nothing else was installed before the upgrade.

After installing, I created a local account instead of my Microsoft account to log in with, I added a password in addition to my PIN, but every time I restart the computer, the log-in screen reverts to PIN and I have to click the key button to go to password. Isn't is supposed to remember that I used the password the last time and show me that first?

chmillman

Reaction score
Hmm - nothing? I guess there are not enough users/testers using Win 11 to have encountered most of the issues...

Garyw

Reaction score
My understanding is that Microsoft prefers that you use a pin. I remember reading an article from M.S. a while ago stating that the pin was supposed to be more secure. If you prefer using a password, I believe you can force that in SETTINGS>ACCOUNTS>PASSWORD.

chmillman

Reaction score
I already set up a password there. The problem is that every time I log in, it goes back to asking me for a PIN, I have to click the "Sign in options" to get to input my password. It doesn't remember that I want to use a password instead of the PIN - it is supposed to. On Windows 10 it does.

Ask a Question