How to Install Windows 11 with a Local Account

Article Discussion How to Install Windows 11 with a Local Account

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new resource:

How to Install Windows 11 with a Local Account - Windows 11 needs a quick tweak to offer local account creation on install

Windows 11 strongly encourages the use of a Microsoft account to sign in to your PC, so much so that the installation process does not allow you to avoid this if you are using a Home edition and are connected to the internet. If you use the Pro edition or do not have an internet connection, local account creation choices are provided.

To bypass this restriction, please wait until the "Let's add your Microsoft account" stage of the installation process and click Sign-in Options...

Read more about this resource...

BMcQ

Reaction score
I have installed Winsows 11 with a Local Microsoft account, and keep trying to change this my online account, but am not allowed. I get a message that my online account is already in use by another user so can't be used.

There are no other users on this PC other than one for our Sonos system called "Sonos Wireless HiFi System". Could this be the problem? I have Home edition of Windows so am limited in terms of user admin. Help much appreciated.

BMcQ

Reaction score
I have tried asking this question before but no joy either then or now.

Does anyone know how to clear an invisible user from my PC so I can sign in with my Microsoft account? Any ideas much appreciated.

BMcQ

Reaction score
I was hopeful of finding a clue to moving FROM a local account on this thread, as I keep being told my Microsoft email is already in use by another user on this PC when I try to use it. There are no other users btw.
Nothing here to help, but maybe Ian could look at my question from 4 Feb 2022?

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi,

have you seen how Helge Kein 'busts orphaned SIDs': https://helgeklein.com/blog/finding...s-or-busting-the-ghosts-built-into-windows-7/
He is very carefull (to say at least) in recommending to use the commands on the C-drive (the drive in use), but I did it and there were no problems. You need to download SetACL and put it into C:\, ... but the link is in the above link. Perhaps you could do a fresh backup before.

On a German forum they are also talking about playing with "netplwiz"; see here (more to the middle and the end of the contribution, beginning with "Benutzer wird doppelt in der Anmeldung angezeigt": https://www.deskmodder.de/wiki/inde...eingabe#Anderer_Benutzer_erscheint_beim_Login (you could perhaps translate with Google Translate; simply copy the whole link into the left side of GT, chose your language on the right side and click on the link).

And finally: did you try to completely remove your e-mail account (not Microsoft account) in (Computer)Settings\Accounts\E-mails and Accounts and then re-register your E-mail account ? Edit: But this may be tricky in your case (if you don not want to lose access to your Microsoft account) ! I recall now that I had switched to a local accout and hadn't removed the e-mail account and Microsoft still asked me to log into my Microsoft account).

Last edited:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I think Microsoft keeps updating the official ISO without any change-logs. Previously about in early January, I downloaded the original ISO from them and it forces me to use Microsoft Account which I'm not satisfied because the username not I wanted but I wanted to use my own username "Joe" ..

After sometime in May, I re-downloaded another ISO from the same Microsoft website and it did gave me option to use my offline account whereby I can use my own name "Joe" as my user folder, and allows me to logon using Microsoft account;

1686416926785.png

I'm satisfied because I can burn it to my USB drive via RUFUS and installed successfully and it allows me to use Local Account, then I logged on using my Microsoft account, but I'm confused because I never used Windows 10 in this machine before but my Windows 11 was automatically activated (I'm not talking about piracy here) .. but YES, I never had W10 license before, still I feel it funny how the heck I get activated? :unsure:

Refer https://www.windows11forums.com/threads/windows-11-education-to-windows-11-home.1673/post-6576

BMcQ

Reaction score
Many thanks for these ideas but I'm afraid my technical skills are way too sadly lacking to risk getting into potential fixes that I don't really understand. Guess I'll stick with the Local account.

Ask a Question