Can't associate jpg files

cowboyra

Reaction score
Since upgrading to windows 11 I can't associate jpg or jpeg files to my viewer. They are associated with a print picture app.
When I try to associate with a different app, jpg and jpeg extensions aren't even on the associate list.
Also
When I click on a jpg and pick "open with" I do not get the "always open with" check box
Any suggestions will be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

orlbuckeye

Reaction score
I had that issue also and I had to go into default apps in setting and I had to set .jpg and jpeg individually to InfraView my choice to view pictures.

Vote:

cowboyra

Reaction score
I tried that but jpg and jpeg are not on the list. I tried using index options to get them on the list but they never show up.

Vote:

cowboyra

Reaction score
Found the fix in a different forum. Here it is incase anyone else has this problem

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc]
"NoOpenWith"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h]
"NoOpenWith"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\AppX9rkaq77s0jzh1tyccadx9ghba15r6t3h]
"NoOpenWith"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\AppXk0g4vb8gvt7b93tg50ybcy892pge6jmt]
"NoOpenWith"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\AppXvhc4p7vz4b485xfp46hhk3fq3grkdgjg]
"NoOpenWith"=-

Vote:

ram

Reaction score
Since upgrading to windows 11 I can't associate jpg or jpeg files to my viewer. They are associated with a print picture app.
When I try to associate with a different app, jpg and jpeg extensions aren't even on the associate list.
Also
When I click on a jpg and pick "open with" I do not get the "always open with" check box
Any suggestions will be appreciated
I also use Irfanview and found this and it worked. RESET Microsoft photos app in Apps> Apps and features. After doing this you have some time to right click a photo and change the association.

Vote:

bencebacsi

Reaction score
I also use Irfanview and found this and it worked. RESET Microsoft photos app in Apps> Apps and features. After doing this you have some time to right click a photo and change the association.
Great, thank you, it worked. No need to edit the registry. I faced this issue only after updating Iview.

Vote:

aleeti

Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks so much! It worked.

Vote:

Afallach

Reaction score
I don't even see Apps>Apps and Features. I see Apps>Default Apps, but nothing in the individual apps about resetting them. Also don't have "Microsoft Photos", just "Photos" (though I'm sure it's Microsoft's).
Are you using Windows 11? (I ask only because a previous post mentions "recent win 10 update," and I thought this was a Win 11 board exclsively.)

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I think it makes little difference what program you use to view and/or edit your photos. It's a personal preference.
I prefer "Photo Filtre", and yes, it's French. I call it my "Poor Man's Photo Shop".
Anyway, I've found that every time I install Windows somewhere, I install Photo Filtre, and then have to associate it with the various types of photo files I may want to work with. It's a PROCESS, and one I've become familiar with.

I'm familiar with the list of file types in "Associations" and I just as well avoid that all together. I really hate scrolling down through long lists of things.

I have a folder of Sample pictures of various types. I just right click a picture, with lets say a .jpg extension, and then click "Open With" and work my way down to my Photo Filtre program. I've done it so many times it really seems the simplest way to get a file type associated with my program.
And, that works with virtually every version of Windows, so far.

Vote:

Grizzly

Reaction score
I have tried everything I could think of before but all the picture extensions were assigned to PHOTOS. Resetting (great tip btw) solved my problem. Thanks so much for this tip

Vote:

Ask a Question