Default size of new Notepad window

DavidPaul

Reaction score
Windows 11 has a new version of Notepad. Unfortunately, when you open a new Notepad window, the default shape is far too wide (long line lengths interfere with readability) and I don't want to have to resize every time I start a new file.

To add to the problem, the user can't change that default size/shape. With other applications (and with older versions of Notepad), if you open a new instance, resize it, then close it, future new instances will take the shape/position you last used. This no longer works with Notepad. I've confirmed this with Microsoft, who assured me this new behaviour is a [groan]feature[/groan].

Any ideas on how to fix this? Can you revert to a previous version of Notepad? Or maybe a registry setting could fix it (I don't have the skills)?

DavidPaul

Reaction score
That's puzzling, @davehc , as Microsoft has confirmed the behaviour I'm seeing. I wonder if I haven't made the issue clear. Could you help by checking the following for me?

A. Are you using Windows 11?

B. Please try the following test:
* Close all Notepad windows.
* Open a Notepad window (let's call this window #1).
* Resize the window to make it about half the width.
* Close the window.
* Open a new Notepad window (this is window #2).
* Is window #2 about half the width that window #1 was?

Thanks in advance.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Yes. I went through the motions you requested. The realigned size remained after restart..

I cannot see any future updates, so I think we are on the same model.
Where did you read that Microsoft have confirmed this? Any link?

As I said, I do not use notepad. Wordpad (Write) does it all for me. Perhaps another forum user could confirm new way or another???

Vote:

DavidPaul

Reaction score
Wow, that is interesting. Both using the same version of Notepad, both in Windows 11, but different behaviour.

Because of what we've found, I tried uninstalling Notepad, rebooted, and reinstalled, but the problem remains. There may be caching issues I suppose, but I don't know how to deal with that.

Does anyone have any ideas on why the same versions might behave differently? Thanks.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
I cannot see how this will help, but, have you tried clicking in to the "file" and selecting the size.. I see mine is on default A4.

Last edited:

Vote:

DavidPaul

Reaction score
I cannot see how this will help, but, have you tried clicking in to the "i" and selecting the size.. I see mine is on default A4.
I can't see what you're seeing so maybe we're not actually using the same application. Could you give me a screenshot of the "i" you're referring to.

Thanks.

Vote:

Ask a Question