Dev Channel or Beta Channel?

jvickers

Reaction score
I, as I'm sure most or all of you, received the following email form Microsoft Insider Program:

Hi Windows Insider,
Windows 11 Insider Preview Builds are now available in both the Dev Channel and the Beta Channel. Now is a perfect time to reevaluate what flighting channel is right for you.
Based on our data, you have a PC that is currently configured for flighting Windows 11 Insider Preview Builds in the Dev Channel. We will soon be flighting early development builds in the Dev Channel. These builds may be less stable and won’t align with the version of Windows 11 expected to be available to the general public later this year.
If you would like to experience more reliable Windows 11 Insider Previews Builds tied to the upcoming release, please move your device to the Beta Channel through the Windows Insider Program Settings.
No action is required if you want to continue receiving the Windows 11 Insider Preview Builds in the Dev Channel.

From what I understand, the Beta channel won't be updated as frequently. Given the paragraph on the Dev channel receiving less stable builds from here on out, I have to wonder if I should switch to the Beta channel. No need in upsetting a stable system, after all.

Thoughts?

davehc

Reaction score
I didn't get the Email, never have, actually. But maybe you need to "subscribe" on the insider site?
Anyway, I am on the Beta channel, and agree with your references to an Unstable system. I , from time to time, dive in to the dev channel to have a quicky at Windows 11. (so far not too interested or impressed), and then back to the beta channel.
You can always, if curious, do as I do and switch.

Last edited:

jvickers

Reaction score
I switched to the Beta channel. As you said, I can always switch back. I'll just keep an eye open for Dev news here or on Twitter. I can check to see what others say about the stability of an update before switching back.

HenryTheTwelfth

Reaction score
Oh, I did receive a similar E-mail, but from the Beta side. Less risky, and I've only ever had minor issues. Like right now I have one taskbar app that won't run (and in-fact Windows 11 seems to have deleted all on it's own, shame shame), and one desktop app that doesn't work... yet. Everything else went smoothly, and this is my main system. I still have a full backup of Win10, but I'm solidly on Win11 now in the Beta Channel. (Edit: Okay, apparently MS nixed taskbar apps (toolbars). There's a petition to get them back.)

Last edited:

TheOldMarine

Reaction score
Couldn't decide which, so I am running Dev on this boot, Beta on another mvme, and yet windows 10 on my trusty old Samsung 970 mvme. Being retired, I enjoy locking up my PC. I have always used Bios, took a strong learning for this old man to begin using UEFI. Still prefer Legacy along with my much used EasyBCD. I only switched due to Windows 11. My Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 had UEFI, and iI changed it to Legacy.

Rambling over,

Ray
Semper Fi

Ask a Question