Do I need an antivirus for Windows 11?

nystormer

Reaction score
I do not have any antivirus software installed and have not done so for many years. Windows security center suggests that I'm protected already from Microsoft Defender. Is this as good as a 3rd party AV or should I be looking to improve my protection?

I use a web e-mail client (gmail) that offers me scanning of attachments already, so it is likely just protection from the web and downloads I need.

davehc

Reaction score
Defender’s reputation is improving. It is rated well in comparison with third party apps. You may get many answers here, but I am happy with only Defender and the MS firewal

tpl

Reaction score
I believe there is a new version coming soon for W11.

I use Defender which is part of the Windows security suite in W11 and I have Malwarebytes installed for an occasional scan.

Mickey52

Reaction score
for those who do not want to shell out money Defender with Malwarebytes is ok . I have had and use AVG Ultimate and Malwarebytes , Ultimate has one utility PC tune up that keeps things running great no problems that others run into. When I up graded to Win11 ( yes it supports the full Win11 not proto type ) it found 90 registry entries errors. Lines not needed and clutter in cashes. Every update leaves garbage behind that seems fix everything. Ultimate has its own antivirus that seems to do the job catches minor things Malwarebytes finds the rest. Can't have all your cookies in one basket

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I also use Windows Defender, with MBAM (free version) used for an occasional scan. I think Defender does a pretty good job for real-time protection, given the results of AV evaluation reports I've read.

nystormer

Reaction score
I believe there is a new version coming soon for W11.
Do you have any links about this please? It would be good to know if they're improving it.

I will try using just Defender for now :). Thank you all.

semce2

Reaction score
I have been using Microsoft Defender for a couple years and so far no issues. Malwarbytes scans never find anything. I also run AppCheck anti-ransomware which I believe is reduntant though.

tpl

Reaction score
I only use MS Defender.
I see MS talking about the new defender as a preview. Maybe it exists on the Dev branch of W11. I will check

yayo

Reaction score
I am a bit confused. Windows 11 is meant to use Windows security, which on my computer doesn't work for some random reason (I tried all the propositions online to make it work, had a microsoft person redo everything I tried and it still is blank). BUT I have windows defender firewall, which I guess protects my computer in some way. Should I get a third party antivirus?

tpl

Reaction score
The antivirus pat of Windows Security, that is Windows Defender, will not run if some other antivirus is running. So check that you don't have Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky of something running.

Go to settings then Privacy and security ( you'll have to click on the burger to see all of settings nowadays.
Then click on Windows security, then Virus and threat protection.

Finally click on Who's protecting me Manage providers. That will show which if any antivirus is running.

T

Taoufik989

I'm currently running Microsoft Defender rather than the paid 3rd party softwares because for me they consume much of the system, Windows Security (including MS Defender and Firewall) is getting improved for the time being and provides a good protection.

nocturnalpage52

Reaction score
I'm using latest version Norton 360 as i have used for years its the only one i trust i recently installed Norton adblocker as well as i noticed the number of tracking events and ads had increased dramatically since installing win 11 its not the cheapest but it works !

greeman

Reaction score
I use Windows Defender with an occasional cleanup with ccleaner and an occasional scan with either Malwarebytes or Superantispyware. I think it depends a lot on what kind of sites you visit and whether or not you have kids playing games on your computer (That can tend to complicate things)

Mickey52

Reaction score
I spent a little money bought AVG Ultimate that not only has anti-virus, but a PC tune up I use a lot that keeps my PC purring like a kitten. I also have another pc using nothing but defender that I am watching its performance.

Ask a Question