Error 0x80780119 fail to create system image

Sam3514

Reaction score
Have a new HP desktop running Windows 11, trying to create system image and get error message 0x80780119. Backing up to External drive with 815.76 GB free. Error states that there is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location........ Can someone help? Have put Windows 11 on my Samsung laptop and had no trouble creating system image. Have two other desktops running Windows 10 which I have just backed up as well. Hp support suggested that I call their smart contact for technical issues which they may charge me. Just bought the computer in September 2021 and it is under warranty.

Grizzly

Reaction score
What file format is the external drive? FAT32 or NTFS or exFAT??

If FAT32 your file size limit is 4GB. That may be the reason you get that error message

Sam3514

Reaction score
What file format is the external drive? FAT32 or NTFS or exFAT??

If FAT32 your file size limit is 4GB. That may be the reason you get that error message
I checked the Seagate hard drive and it showed that it is NTFS

Grizzly

Reaction score
One question though: what kind of Image software are you using??
another question is: do you make the image while windows is still running or an external system (DVD/Flash drive)??

Sam3514

Reaction score
I am just using the Control Panel's "backup and restore" that is Microsoft's internal system image creator, which is still active on the Windows 11 OS. I have an 1T external Seagate hard drive that has nothing but its software on it. There is plenty of room for the system image. I have been trying the various fixes that I have been directed to, but so far updating all of my drivers at hp.com hasn't helped and the disk checkers have not fixed the problem. I am working some more on it today, but quit after trying several solutions yesterday because I got discouraged. Hopefully I will hit on the solution soon. So discouraging, as all of my other computers in the house have been backed up for the system image creation. My new HP desktop computer was just bought in Sept. of 2021 with Windows 10 on it, downloaded and installed Windows 11 with no problems.

Grizzly

Reaction score
ok, that is the worst you can do to yourself. That image creator is as unreliable as snow on the equator. It also wants to back it up in the system partition (as far as I know) which is usually never big enough for that. It is a relic from Windows 7 and has never been considered reliable at all especially restoring an image made with it. The web is full of negative comments about that.

Good image programs that are reliable and actually work are as follows:

Acronis True Image
Macrium reflect (there is a free version available)
Aomei backupper
OOdiskimage

I personally am using True Image but an older version (2011 and 2014). They work as advertised, so to say.
Macrium reflect is a good one too and widely used here.
Not much experience with Aomei backupper or OOdiskimage.

Sam3514

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Grizzly, I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I downloaded a free trial of the Macrium Reflect and had no problem backing up my HP and another computer as well. The trial will last 30 days and then will revert to the free version. I need to do a little more research to see if the paid version is worth the cost and if the free part will take care of my needs. I have used the Windows 7 one previously and had to use the backup to re-install it to one of my computers that had a virus. We can mark this one as solved!!

Ask a Question