ExFat drive not recognized in new enclosure

qinky

Reaction score
This is weird. Had a 4 TB drive in a seagate enclosure - made by manufacturer - and it worked for years. I moved it to a new enclosure and it is no longer recognized. It's actually in a better enclosure. Looking at the drive, I see 4 partitions, the largest being exFat. Using Microsoft's Disk Management it has convert to MBR grayed out and converting to a Dynamic Disk doesn't work, not that it would make a difference. Using tools like Macrium Reflect, the partitions are seen but it appears unformatted to Macrium and Easeus. However, I can get that or even diskpart to mount the partition. I get an error "cannot mount partition. "Please Select a Volume and try again" - and that's after I've selected the volume and partition. Here is what happens when I try forcing the assignment:

Partition 3 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> assign letter=G

There is no volume specified.
Please select a volume and try again.

Anyone experience something like this? Right now I'm running data recovery scanning and it sees all the files but it just won't recover and mount the disk.

qinky

Reaction score
This is the problem - but I still need a solution. Seagate preformats their drives with exfat and moving the drive out of the enclosure creates a problem with Windows 11 not seeing the drive. I can't explain it:

In a partition manager software it shows the driver formatted as GPT but there are no options other than to delete the partition. I remember needing to go to diskpart to reformat another drive and I have to wonder what it could possibly be that has the Seagate Enclosure allowing this to work on PCs and Macs but this not working properly once it was removed from th original enclosure.

Last edited:

yodap

Reaction score
Do you have data on the partition that you need to save? Is the GPT designation “protected”?

fdegrove

Reaction score
Hi,

A quick question: have you tried mounting the drive in its original enclosure again yet ?
I have a similar Seagate external HDD as yourself and do not experience any problem whatsoever under W11 or W10 for that matter.
Mine is formatted using NTFS though.

Another thing to try if you can is to mount a different HDD in the new enclosure and see how that goes.

Cheers, ;)

vynski

Reaction score
Have you tried downloading Seagate DiscWizard instead of using Macrium. I tried Macrium and found it to be a royal pain in the rear.

Ask a Question