Explorer crashes when I try to open pictures and downloads folders

debgram

Reaction score
Intel Core i5 12600KF, TUF gaming Z690-Plus WIFI D4, 16 G RAM, Radeon RX 6500 TX, Windows 11 64 bit, and Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

I already did SFC, DISM, Reinstall 11 in place, check for viruses, and ckdisk and memory scan, and nothing worked. I can open the documents folder and it stays open it's just the pictures and downloads, as soon as I hover over something or right click I get the busy icon then it closes down. Please help otherwise I'll have to take it to the shop again.

2022-07-30_14h59_45.png 2022-07-30_14h59_29.png 2022-07-30_14h57_57.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you got any shell extensions installed - i.e. the sort of app that adds an icon or extra menu item to the right click menu? Quite often image conversion, compression tools and other utilities will add a shell extension and it looks like one of these is causing a crash.

I don't know if it'll work with Windows 11, but Shell Menu View used to be really good for troubleshooting these sort of problems:

You can disable shell extensions until you find the problematic one.

Vote:

debgram

Reaction score
Have you got any shell extensions installed - i.e. the sort of app that adds an icon or extra menu item to the right click menu? Quite often image conversion, compression tools and other utilities will add a shell extension and it looks like one of these is causing a crash.

I don't know if it'll work with Windows 11, but Shell Menu View used to be really good for troubleshooting these sort of problems:

You can disable shell extensions until you find the problematic one.
I have added extra items on the right-click menu using Ultimate Windows Tweaker 5.0 and Winaero Tweaker because I like the option of copy and move to items, safe mode. I downloaded that shellview program but I don't understand what I'm looking for. I don't want to disable something that I'm going to mess my pc up.

Vote:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you able to disable those extra items from the context menu via Ultimate Windows Tweaker or WinAero tweaker? I think there's a good possibility it's one of those apps causing the problem.

Vote:

debgram

Reaction score
Are you able to disable those extra items from the context menu via Ultimate Windows Tweaker or WinAero tweaker? I think there's a good possibility it's one of those apps causing the problem.
Yeah I did that and still have the problem

Vote:

Ask a Question