Hard Drive Complication, Windows 11

geomox62777

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a Toshiba Tecra Notebook which originally had Windows 8 on it, but now has Win 11. I bought it with Win 11 already installed. The SSD on it is only 256 GB so I want to change it. I have an HP 15 with Windows 10 on a One terabyte SSD. The HP won't take Windows 11, so I'm wanting to know if the One TB SSD will take Windows 11 if I put it in the laptop that originally had Windows 8 on it?

Bighorn

Reaction score
It should work IF the Tecra has a place to mount it, the specs should give that information. I have a few Notebooks that use the SATA HDD or SATA SSD but newer ones have the NVMe SSD drive, different mountings. The Dell Vostro I'm now on has a 256GB NVMe drive but also has a place to mount a SATA drive, either HDD or SSD which would give additional storage. Adding another drive could impact the length of runtime when on battery only,

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I hope I'm not over-thinking this answer, but.....
Sounds just like what I was doing with Ghost, back in 1997, in a small PC shop I was working in.

I'd connect both the old and small drive and the newer and larger drive to the same desktop PC, and then run Ghost in the Disk to Disk mode to CLONE the smaller drive to the larger drive. At least with Ghost, the OS was never harmed in any way.
After the clone, any decent HD manager program, can be used to re-organize the partitions.
Here's a favorite pic of mine, "Cloning one HD to another HD" both connected to my Main PC.
External Drives.JPG
I used to do this a lot, but not so much anymore. In this old pic, one HD has a Two-Fan Hard Drive Cooler attached, and one does not. It's especially advantageous to do this with laptop drives, where the laptop itself can only support one drive.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
I remember Ghost but got away from anything Norton, after having used Norton since '92 on my first computer then started in a shop in '94, when Symantec bought it and started doing away with some good programs.

I purchased an Eaxer dual-drive dock for working with data on SATA drives, both 2.5" and 3.5". It can be also used for hardware cloning Source to Destination drives. It cannot be connected to any computer for that purpose and does a Byte for Byte copy. It is a convenient dock, USB 3 with 3 USB ports on the front and one is a charger. I've done like-sizes and Destination larger and both system/boot drives and data/storage drives. After cloning to a larger drive there will be unallocated space which Disk Management can create and format as additional partition or partitions as desired. The downside for Windows managing partitions is some defaults can't be changed.

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
A slight correction:
Ghost was written by a little known company in New Zealand, and first released in1997, and was sold to Symantec about a year later. Peter Norton never had anything to do with it. Symantec began modifying the program while it was still a DOS program, and in version 11.5 finally made it compatible with the NTFS file structure. It could still be booted up on a DOS disk.
I used it then, in 1997, in a little PC shop that I worked in, and we used it primarily for cloning small HD's to bigger ones.
When I finally left that company, a copy of Ghost went with me.
I've been using it ever since, for my bi-weekly Backups. I back up C:\ into a compressed Image File and save that file on an external drive.
Ghost is so simple, quick and efficient, I'm really surprised that more people are not still using it, like me, today.
Maybe because you can no longer buy it, since Symantec abandoned it. But it's out there, for those that would search it out.
Shadow :cool:

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Just for grins, one day I did a Google search for "Ghost 11.5 ISO" and lo and behold, I found it.
I downloaded it, burned it to a Flash Drive, using Rufus, and it boots up my PC and immediately boots into Ghost 11.5 (DOS).
And, it still works as good as it ever did.
Shadow :cool:

Vote:

Ask a Question