How can I change Google Drive Letter Please.?

En!gma

Reaction score
Hi, as the heading say's, How can I assign a different drive letter for Google Drive.
I know full well the usual way is through Device Management but that is not an option for Google Drive..
Windows has given it a drive letter of " G "
So I have C:\ D:\ E:\ then G:\ H:\ & I:\ drives

I would prefer to have the Google Drive G:\ as Z:\ for instance...

I have looked at google's explanation of how to change it but it does not seem up to date as following their advice does not show up the choices they gave.

Any heads up would be great... It's not a big problem, just a bugbear to me.

Regards

Bighorn

Reaction score
I don't use the"drive" /cloud but being curious took a look and saw this which may have an effect, might want to keep an eye on it and try later:

1708738614264.png

Vote:

En!gma

Reaction score
As promised.. how I managed.. The first bit of text is from Google Help but it misses out one part so obviously wouldn't work..
"
Google's default drive letter for Google Drive for desktop is "G:". For some individuals/units, this can interfere with existing G: drives on their machines. Google makes it easy to change this letter to another one that doesn't interfere with their existing drives.

1. Click the carrot up arrow (^) from your taskbar to show hidden icons, then select the Google Drive for desktop icon (Google Drive logo)
  2. Click the gear icon in the dialog box and select Preferences...
  3. Click Default drive letter and select the letter to which you would like to reassign the drive. Click OK "
Unquote..

Do as step one from above..
Do step two from above..
Then click the Gear Icon at top on new prompt window that opens...
Then do as step three and assign your chosen drive letter..

You will have to restart Google Drive / Google One

Probably best to restart your PC.

Hope this helps others

Regards.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Vote:

Ask a Question