How to buy Windows 11 Pro retail?

Rangoon

Reaction score
I can see how to buy devices that have Windows 11, and I can see how to upgrade from 10 to 11, and I can see how to buy an OEM copy of Windows 11 Pro. But how do I simply buy the retail version? I considered buying another copy of Windows 10 Pro, and using that key, but I'm worried that the time will come when Win 10 keys may not work for a "free upgrade" path to 11. I'd like to just buy a retail 11 Pro key now and know that I have it. This is for a brand new build with an i9-12900k, so compatibility isn't an issue.

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm worried that the time will come when Win 10 keys may not work for a "free upgrade" path to 11
My guess is that since, Microsoft isn't even selling it yet, that it will be a while before you see it made available generally to retail outlets.
Probably sometime shortly after the holidays, after their OEM partners have had a chance to sell some devices with Windows 11 onboard.

Capture2.JPG

Badbak

Reaction score
I can see how to buy devices that have Windows 11, and I can see how to upgrade from 10 to 11, and I can see how to buy an OEM copy of Windows 11 Pro. But how do I simply buy the retail version? I considered buying another copy of Windows 10 Pro, and using that key, but I'm worried that the time will come when Win 10 keys may not work for a "free upgrade" path to 11. I'd like to just buy a retail 11 Pro key now and know that I have it. This is for a brand new build with an i9-12900k, so compatibility isn't an issue.

Thanks!
provided the machine came loaded with win10 pro you can upgrade or do a clean install of win11pro for free
use the windows assistant installation tool download from microsoft

Ask a Question