How to run very early 16bit games under Win 11 Pro 64 bit?

jeallen01

Reaction score
Hi All.

I don't play "modern" PC games but I have somewhat of an adiction to a very old (late 1980's/early 1990's!) 16 bit game called "Terrace", which I got running under XP on various m/c's, and then under XP running under VMware and Oracle Virtual Box virtual machines on a couple of Win 10 Pro 64 bit m/c's!

I'd now like get it running on the latest laptop which is a Dell XPS 13 (version 9370, 8th gen i7-8550u, 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD) now running Win 11 Pro 64 bit (after an "upgrade" from Win 10 Pro 64 bit.).

Thus I would much appreciate advice as to good routes to actually doing that, e.g. via tools already in Win 11 or by installing one of the virtual machine environments (and, if applicable, I can hopefully repurpose the XP Pro licence that is currently on my much older Win 10 Pro laptop).

NB: It's a long time since I did the current VMware and Virtual Box installations - so I've forgotten how to do that!! :confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice & guidance.

Last edited:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
you mean this?

1670851715326.png

Vote:

jeallen01

Reaction score
Thanks but unfortunately that's not it! "my" TERRACE game is a variation of the Patience card game and seems (from the date of the .exe file - 14/08/1992) to have been created in mid-late 1992 (although there may have been earlier versions) and I think I must have got it on one of those old freeware disks on Computer Shopper or a similar mag!

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Thanks but unfortunately that's not it! "my" TERRACE game is a variation of the Patience card game and seems (from the date of the .exe file - 14/08/1992) to have been created in mid-late 1992 (although there may have been earlier versions) and I think I must have got it on one of those old freeware disks on Computer Shopper or a similar mag!

do have any picture of the game .. screenshot ?

Vote:

jeallen01

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in responding (lot of wider family problems ATM) but here are a couple of screen shots.

1st one shows shows the opening screen after you fire up the .exe file, & 2nd one shows a typical one a few moves later.

PS: pretty sure this game was written in the UK as the 1st shot gives an address & postcode in the North of England - but that registration/donation link hasn't worked for about 20 yrs or more!

Attachments

• Terrace 1.jpg
    Terrace 1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Terrace 2.jpg
    Terrace 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a bit suprised that you were able to run an early 16-bit program on Windows XP. I thought this only works on WIN 98SE ! ... Learning someting new every day.
I am running a 16-bit astronomy program called "Tycho Notes 2000" (from Claude Fortin) on VMWare Player (latest version) with Windows 98SE, but updated with SP3: http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/
Take version SP 3.65 for Windows, 3.66 is for qemu.
(Install updates that are said to be installed separately, really separately, restart afterwards. If the installallation seems to be blocked, click on the "x" to close the installer, ... it will continue ;)).

Good luck

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in responding (lot of wider family problems ATM) but here are a couple of screen shots.

1st one shows shows the opening screen after you fire up the .exe file, & 2nd one shows a typical one a few moves later.

PS: pretty sure this game was written in the UK as the 1st shot gives an address & postcode in the North of England - but that registration/donation link hasn't worked for about 20 yrs or more!
its okay for the delay .. i managed to run Terrace Card Game v2.1 via WINEVDM ..

you can download the attached file below attachment the extract it .. run the INSTALL.INF which is inside otvdm-v0.8.1 folder (run as Administrator if fails), after few seconds goto TERRACE folder and execute TERRACE.EXE .. I couldn't attach in here because the file if about 1.5MB so I have to upload in ZippyShare.

Download - https://www52.zippyshare.com/v/nD91lwX2/file.html

.. enjoy !​

1671460194138.png

1671460260676.png

Vote:

jeallen01

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a bit suprised that you were able to run an early 16-bit program on Windows XP. I thought this only works on WIN 98SE ! ... Learning someting new every day.
I am running a 16-bit astronomy program called "Tycho Notes 2000" (from Claude Fortin) on VMWare Player (latest version) with Windows 98SE, but updated with SP3: http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/
Take version SP 3.65 for Windows, 3.66 is for qemu.
(Install updates that are said to be installed separately, really separately, restart afterwards. If the installallation seems to be blocked, click on the "x" to close the installer, ... it will continue ;)).

Good luck
Thanks for the info & comments and I'll take a look at that approach when I get a chance - my brother-in-law passed away on Saturday, and so my wife is very upset and there's a "lot going on" which will involve both of us over the next few days/weeks.

As for running 16 bit stuff under older versions of Window - I used to do that under the 32 bit version of Win 10 Pro on an old Dell laptop under Win 10 Pro 64 bit version using the same (as long as I stick with VMware workstation V15.

Vote:

jeallen01

Reaction score
its okay for the delay .. i managed to run Terrace Card Game v2.1 via WINEVDM ..

you can download the attached file below attachment the extract it .. run the INSTALL.INF which is inside otvdm-v0.8.1 folder (run as Administrator if fails), after few seconds goto TERRACE folder and execute TERRACE.EXE .. I couldn't attach in here because the file if about 1.5MB so I have to upload in ZippyShare.

.. enjoy !​

View attachment 790

View attachment 791

.. enjoy !​

View attachment 790

View attachment 791
Thanks to you as well and I will investigate in a little while - but please see my reply to RogerOver

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Thanks for the info & comments and I'll take a look at that approach when I get a chance - my brother-in-law passed away on Saturday, and so my wife is very upset and there's a "lot going on" which will involve both of us over the next few days/weeks.

As for running 16 bit stuff under older versions of Window - I used to do that under the 32 bit version of Win 10 Pro on an old Dell laptop under Win 10 Pro 64 bit version using the same (as long as I stick with VMware workstation V15.
Thanks to you as well and I will investigate in a little while - but please see my reply to RogerOver
Condolences to your family, take your own good time to reply :)

Vote:

Ask a Question