Keyboard fails at startup

Peano

Reaction score
When I boot the system up and get to the logon screen, the USB keyboard doesn't work. I can't enter my PIN number. By trial and error, I've found that merely unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in (same port) solves the problem -- for the current session. When I shut down and boot up again, I have to unplug and replug the keyboard before it will work.

Things I've tried:

Ran "update driver" (in Device Manager), but it says it's using the right driver.

Uninstalled the keyboard and shut down so Windows could reinstall the driver (which it did). That didn't solve the problem.

Plugged the keyboard into my laptop; I didn't get this problem. Only on the Win11 machine (desktop). I also used this keyboard on my previous (now dead) desktop without any problems.

One online site suggested going to System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooters and use the Keyboard troubleshooter. But there is no keyboard troubleshooter in that list.

Ran the hardware diagnostic from a Cmd prompt (msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic). Nothing flagged as wrong with the keyboard.

Ran Windows Update, which is configured to check for outdated drivers. No new driver for the keyboard.

I ran the Windows Update disanostic from a Cmd prompt; it said it fixed one problem. So I shut down and booted up again, and the keyboard still failed at startup.

So I've about run out of ideas. Can you suggest something I haven't tried?

The keyboard is a Filco mechanical.

Bighorn

Reaction score
An issue with USB keyboards is that the BIOS usually does not have support for the USB 3 ports, have to be plugged into a USB 2 port. USB 3 drivers aren't available until the OS is loaded.
USB 2 = black centers in the plug/socket
USB 3 = blue centers
Some newer computers may have combination ports, one of mine has black centers.

Note: a similar issue can occur with USB-connected printers, use of the proper port.

Vote:

Peano

Reaction score
An issue with USB keyboards is that the BIOS usually does not have support for the USB 3 ports, have to be plugged into a USB 2 port. USB 3 drivers aren't available until the OS is loaded.
USB 2 = black centers in the plug/socket
USB 3 = blue centers
Some newer computers may have combination ports, one of mine has black centers.

Note: a similar issue can occur with USB-connected printers, use of the proper port.
Thank you. Two of my USB ports have blue centers, the rest have black centers. I've been using a black port. However, I notice that the plug from the keyboard has a white center. Is that what's causing the problem?

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Thank you. Two of my USB ports have blue centers, the rest have black centers. I've been using a black port. However, I notice that the plug from the keyboard has a white center. Is that what's causing the problem?
A white center was more common with older devices that supported USB 1/1.1 but USB 2 is backward compatible to USB 1/1.1 and most times USB 3 can work with Thumb drives. Outside of speed USB 3 provides more power to the devices, an example is portable CD/DVD drives and older External HDDs, I have one of each for USB 2 that uses a Y-cable, one leg is for data and power and the other leg is for additional power from a second port, eliminates the need for a power adapter. The drives for USB 3 such as the 2.5" Notebook put in a small case get sufficient 5V power from the only cable. The large USB External cases use 3.5" drives similar to those in a desktop computer and need both 5V and 12V from an included power adapter.

Vote:

Peano

Reaction score
A white center was more common with older devices that supported USB 1/1.1 but USB 2 is backward compatible to USB 1/1.1 and most times USB 3 can work with Thumb drives. Outside of speed USB 3 provides more power to the devices, an example is portable CD/DVD drives and older External HDDs, I have one of each for USB 2 that uses a Y-cable, one leg is for data and power and the other leg is for additional power from a second port, eliminates the need for a power adapter. The drives for USB 3 such as the 2.5" Notebook put in a small case get sufficient 5V power from the only cable. The large USB External cases use 3.5" drives similar to those in a desktop computer and need both 5V and 12V from an included power adapter.
Thanks. I guess I'll just have to live with the added step of unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable when logging on. I rerouted the keyboard over the front edge of the desk and taped it under the edge so I can plug it into a port on the front of the computer. I appreciate all your information.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Use the blue USB ports as priority also at booting (CMOS / BIOS) screen try enter BIOS settings (eg. pressing F1, F2 etc.) and set the every USB BIOS settings as ENABLED .. If the computer can enter CMOS / BIOS properly then shouldn't be a problem in Windows :)

Usually in CMOS/BIOS USB keyboard will automatically work even it's set as DISABLED, but in Windows it will not .. similar screenshot below;
1699607172290.png

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
That screenshot brings back memories of days past when motherboards had the 9-pin and 25-pin Serial ports and the 25-pin Parallel Port, SPP or EPP for printers. USB has taken over most of those functions, black centers for USB 2 and blue centers for USB 3. I once had a motherboard for AMD CPUs that had orange centers in the ports [but no USB 3 on it].

Last edited:

Vote:

Peano

Reaction score
Use the blue USB ports as priority also at booting (CMOS / BIOS) screen try enter BIOS settings (eg. pressing F1, F2 etc.) and set the every USB BIOS settings as ENABLED .. If the computer can enter CMOS / BIOS properly then shouldn't be a problem in Windows :)

Usually in CMOS/BIOS USB keyboard will automatically work even it's set as DISABLED, but in Windows it will not .. similar screenshot below;
View attachment 1436
Many thanks. I got into that screen via a restart (Catch 22: can't use F2 on initial startup because the keyboard doesn't work!). It doesn't show individual USB ports, just Front USB and Rear USB, and both of those were enabled. The only thing disabled was "trusted execution." I don't know what that means, so I left it alone. I also tried the keyboard in a blue USB port, but no help there.

I also went to the dell/support site and had it check my system's drivers. It recommended one Windows driver update, which it installed. Still didn't resolve the keyboard problem. But the problem IS my this particular keyboard. I tried the Dell keyboard that came with the computer, and that worked on startup. But it's a flimsy piece of Chinese crap, so I'm sticking with my Filco, which is mechanical, metal, and made in Japan. It cost a lot more, but it's sure worth it.

Thank you again. I do appreciate all the advice and explanations I'm getting here.

Vote:

Ask a Question