Local network connection problem

Peano

Reaction score
I had a Win 7 desktop and Win 7 laptop connected on a local network. Everything worked fine. The desktop died and I replaced it with a new Win 11 (Home) desktop.

Problem: I can't access either computer from the other. Each one "sees" the other on the Network directory, but when I click "Open," I get the same "access denied" message.

On each computer, I've given full access permissions to "everyone," so at this point I'm stumped as to how to grant access to each computer from the other. I really don't understand what I'm doing.

Suggestions?

----
Additional details possibly relevant, probably not:

From the desktop: Network shows "LAP" (name of laptop); it allows me to open "LAP" and shows the directory of folders I should be able to open (C:, Program Files (x86) etc., but I'm access beyond that point.

From the laptop: Network shows "DESKTOP-DKT" (name of desktop), but I'm denied access beyond that point. Can't view even the directory of folders I should be able to access.

Permission1.jpg
permission2.jpg

Last edited:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Windows 7 computer cannot access Windows 11 computer .. but Windows 11 computer can access Windows 7 computers commonly, but some tricks would be able to bypass this issue;

You can find the File and Printing Service configuration in the Windows firewall.
  • Search and launch windows firewall from the Start menu's search box, and select the Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
  • From Windows Defender Firewall, identify File and Printing Service, File and Printing Service over SMBDirect, Allow for Private and Public network as exhibited in below screenshot.
1700119619359.png

Vote:

Peano

Reaction score
Thank you! File and printer sharing was already enabled in Windows Defender firewall. That doesn't appear to be the problem. Still getting "access denied." Very puzzling ... and frustrating! :mad:

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Thats the final, else I could remote you and give a try because I am from Malaysia .. I have done it in my previous office but I can't exactly remember it .. but I could give it a try via Anydesk / Teamviewer if possible ..

Just tell the date and time so that I will be awake to help you .. :)

Vote:

Ask a Question