Unable to create a local user in Windows 11.

IanMcK

Reaction score
Hi

I am unable to create a local user in Windows 11.

My current user is in the Administrator Group and is linked to my MS account.

I create a new local user from the users control panel. User name, password, security questions. The new user name appears in the list of users.

I log out of the admin user account (switching accounts makes no difference to what happens). The new user appears on the desktop log-in. I click on it and Windows begins the Hi, preparing… this will take some time… etc. This lasts for 16 minutes!

Eventually the screen displays a window asking for permission to use location. However it now starts to continuously recycle this screen. I am able to select an option and ‘Accept’ for it to recycle again. Sometimes it displays a diagnostic permission screen this too recycles but back to the location permission screen.

I have to turn the computer off and restart to log back in to my Admin account.

If I attempt to log-in to the new user account after restart the screen goes black for 20 seconds or so, flashes white, and then starts to recycle the location / diagnostic permissions again.

When I check C:/Users the new user folder is present and populated.

I just recently upgraded my computer (new mother board etc), reinstalling Windows 10 Home and then updating to Windows 11 Home. I have applied all current updates and my OS is now Windows 11 22H2, build 22621.1194

Any help is solving this would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

IanMcK

Solution
One possible solution is to try creating the new user account using the Command Prompt with administrative privileges. You can do this by opening the Command Prompt as an administrator and entering the following command:

Code:
net user [username] [password] /add

Replace [username] and [password] with the desired username and password for the new local user account.

Once the account has been created, you can set a security question for the account using the following command:

Code:
net user [username] /q

Again, replace [username] with the username of the new local user account.

After creating the account using Command Prompt, try logging in to the new user account again and see if the issue has been resolved.

ToolGuy

Reaction score
One possible solution is to try creating the new user account using the Command Prompt with administrative privileges. You can do this by opening the Command Prompt as an administrator and entering the following command:

Code:
net user [username] [password] /add

Replace [username] and [password] with the desired username and password for the new local user account.

Once the account has been created, you can set a security question for the account using the following command:

Code:
net user [username] /q

Again, replace [username] with the username of the new local user account.

After creating the account using Command Prompt, try logging in to the new user account again and see if the issue has been resolved.

Vote:
Solution

IanMcK

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks ToolGuy the net user [name] [pw] /add worked a charm although it did take the 15 minutes or so! But never mind it solved the problem. BTW the other command to set a security question wasn't recognised but again I'm OK with that.

RogerOver thanks for the link to the profile fixer I'll check it out.

Thank you both for your prompt help

Kind Regards

IanMcK

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
It is quite straightforward to create a local account, with security etc, in the settings - Accounts - Email and accounts - Add accounts.

But you have got there anyway. I think your problem, in your initial post.maybe, if I read correctly, that you used the Control Panel(?) It is being phased out and possibly gave problems - dunno, I havent been through that path for a while.

Vote:

IanMcK

Reaction score
Hi Davehc

Thanks for the suggestion but thats the route I chose - so I'm at a loss!
No matter any new users will be done with the command line call.

Regards and thanks to all

IanMcK

Vote:

IanMcK

Reaction score
Hi Badbak

I'm using a PC with an ethernet connection (no wifi) but tried your suggestion. No go I'm afraid:(
Still the command prompt method did the trick and, as I have all the user accounts I need, I won't be needing it any time soon!

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

IanMcK

Vote:

Ask a Question