How to ping local network from 2 different hosts (on either side of a switch) on same workgroup

littlefooch

Reaction score
I have a single workgroup where Host A and Host B are on the same 192.168.0.x local home network.
There is also a Host C attached to Host B via a second adapter on Host B using APIPA.

Host A and Host B are connected to each other via two switches, both use DHCP via a common ip V4 default gateway 192.168.0.1. (Two floors in my house, Host A and Host B are on different floors, connected via a switch on each floor and of course ethernet cable connecting the two switches). Hosts A and B can easily ping each other of course.

Host B also has a Host C connected via a second adapter on Host B as link local 169.254.x.x. Host B can ping Host C using command ping HostC.local.

Host A cannot ping Host C using ping HostC.local as Host B can.

I've done this before (ping Host C from Host A) but can't recall how.

Any guidance? Thanks
LF

littlefooch

Reaction score
OK, I think I'm answering my question...
The switches and locations of various computers on the local DHCP network doesn't matter.
Host B gets to the private network as it's directly connected to the adapter; any other host will not connect to the private network.

This will require static IP's and routing I assume.

littlefooch

Reaction score
there is another way to do it w/o static addresses and specific routes.
the adapter that is connected to the workgroup and DHCP can be bridged to the adapter that connects to the private network
Host B has an ethernet and in this case a thunderbolt adapter. If these two adapters are bridged, then other machines on the workgroup can reach the private/169.254xx network via HostC.local

Ask a Question