Losing SSD Space for no apparent reason.!!

Nick.H

Reaction score
Hi,
Wondered if anyone could offer any nuggets of info regarding this.Im not particularly computer literate,so go easy on me..!
I use a Dell Inspiron 7490 Laptop with Firefox,and Windows 11.
Almost on a daily basis I find my SSD space going down,For example this morning it was 178GB,and without installing any new programs or applications its now 168GB..I have system restore turned off,hibernation turned off,etc.I used Privazer and Bleach Bit to get rid of unnessacery files,which includes erasing old Windows updates and old installation packages,etc.
The only way I can get back to 178GB approx is by resetting the whole laptop,which obviously is a pain to do.
Its driving me mad and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As you use your PC, some space will be consumed by various caches (browsing, updates, etc...) as well as swap files/hibernation. If your free space drops to 168GB from 178GB (fresh install), that sounds about right. I'd only be concerned if if keeps getting significantly smaller. Caches will be used quite heavily to speed various tasks up.

Vote:

Nick.H

Reaction score
Many Thanks Ian....I think Privazer is supposed to get rid of caches( such as swap files and browsing)...and it also disables hibernation mode. I've paused Windows updates for 5 weeks and will see what happens to the space...Thanks again.Nick

Vote:

Ask a Question