Microsoft asked me to write a post about win 11

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
Microsoft asked me to write somthing about win 11. Well at first everything pissed me off as I have been using the win 98 layout since 2000, but as I slowely transferred the previous owners stuff out and transfered the accounts over to me things slowly got better mostly by looking around and getting familiar. There were about 4 different stages where i had to change over the accounts and remove their emails by creating new user accounts then deleting the old accounts the onedrive account was the scariest as it just said remove account and a shit load of stuff will go as well but it didn't it went quietly. This notebook has a tiny HDD but the puter is only a couple of years old very fast and for $200.00 I'm happy as a pig in shit. 10 hours I've been at it and I've made it mine got mozilla and edge synced bookmarks and passwords very early in the process soI didn't mess upmy main puter set my colours infirefox and in edge. I found i couldn't move apps to task bar until i opened them then I pinned them before closing. The control panel took me about 6 hours to find, i have it running on wifi cordless and also connect to the printer this way. I am happy I also used bookmarks to mark things in the puter so I couldcome back later and sort them for eays locating or pinning once I worked out how to pin stuff. Its been about 8 years since I built and set up my desktop so I was a bit rusty I'm thinking I might be happy I upgraded from win 10 to win 11 but I wouldn't have thought that 5 hours ago. Cheers It's really much the same at least I have mine set up very similar just have to hunt down a bigger HDD once I have it set up 100% I change the text sizs and the fonts as well So thats that.

The worst thing was the security once I was in my puter every time I wanted to deal in a sensitive area it wanted me to sign in and I couldn't because I hadn't removed all the previous owners stuff once I changed the coumuter to me which I did first I should not have gone through hell with sign in I couldn't do. so I basicly deleted the accounts at these points after creating new accounts in different areas. Oncea person has their pin everything else should fallinto place instead of fight every inch of the way.

I also upgraded from win 10 to win 11 as well during the process.

Last edited:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
The new Photo's software in win 11 is useless with out the red eye fix tool, I suspect microsoft wants you to buy a program from its shops well this put me off shopping at microsoft for photo software. If Photo's is useless it suggests there must be a catch with the rest.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
just ask them to improve their support forum rather than replying rubbish and placing 3rd party stupid people on behalf of official Microsoft staff in assisting troubled users ..

:)

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
if infatica is installed on your computer its a peer to peer system that is stealing your data usane I found it and found it was chewing up 1500mb per month in downloads and heaps of upload as well. Uninstall it then delete the folder in programs in windows.

RogerOver

Reaction score
WIn 11 runs fine and smooth.

A lot of their constant updates are however just frills, needed by nobody (except by the lunatic nerds who still believe in a brillant future of IT). But IT needs economic growth (because it is based on it) and economic growth has no future, because the world is a limited space and nobody can escape from this limitation. With all the consequences that result from a limited space.

I don't like the taskbar, because it is too limited; I use ExplorerPatcher combined with TrueLaunchBar (which is free now), before I used FreeLaunchBar. And for the Start menu, I use OpenShell, but this may be just habit.

But otherwise I like it (even a lot).

... Ah, one other point: Edge has far too many updates and I think it's a huge error to integrate it more and more into the Windows system. Microsoft should do the contrary, like they do for many other (system) apps.

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
I don't use edge at all its too silly for me gossip fake news annoying adverts I like firefox. The worst thing I find it the idiots that design notebooks think a 128- 500gb hdd is big enough these days they should get out into the real world take a few thousand photo's then tell us what they think of small harddrives . And the tiny HDD's in notebooks couldn't they fit a few more in a machine. I recently upgraded my win 10 to 22h2 (i think that's it) and it flys I'm running an am3 system and it as fast as my new Asus notebook which I thaiuht was unbelievable when I first got it and this was like a boat anchor I am impressed with the win 19 pro latest update. very cool move performance of win 11 and the logically built win 10 pro. best of both worlds. I feel the latest win 10 upgrade is the direction windows should take.

cosmic52

Reaction score
You don't say what kind of little notebook you have?.My experience with note books wouldn't let you run win11.

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
Vivobook. Depends on the bios and the cpu type can't run win 11 on my other notebook, might upgrade it to 22h2. I don't know why Home hasn't been abolished and just supplied win pro.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
In all my 40+ years of running some MS OS, I've never once called Microsoft for anything. Just seeing that picture, verifies that I was right.

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
I have a friend that started classes in 1980 he spent 20 years trying to convince me computers were the thing of the future, he would talk computer to me and would say one day the penny will drop with everything he would tell me. Some things did and some things didn't. I do know too much computer is bad for the eyes. That's the most important thing I ever learnt. He would tell me things like how they names things like the mouse the harddrive floppy drive. well we know a mouse is a tampon and floppy and hard drive the mind starts to boggle. I used microsoft a few times like when an upgrade crashed my puter and problems stepping up from wondows 7. I just get by and every 5 years or so I might spend one or two hundred dollars. I miss win 98 used to love the simplicity of that system. I totally missed the xp era as I was still using 98 right up until I bought a win 7 notebook. Now everything works and doesn't muck up which means were losing our skills windows for dummies was a joke with 98 but now days its a bit more serious. I built this puter 7 years ago with outdated parts as they were affordable for me and it still runs great but it did take 3 months to get it working as the MB had a bug. I cursed it so many times.

Last edited:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
I just found JRE stops the explorer menus and tool bars from working in win 11. I needed the jre to run the pins in apache openoffice which have recently stopped working. Just because win 11 doesn't need jre doesn't mean other software doesn't require it. Pinning on a task bar menu is very important to me.

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
Just found also Onedrive is also causing these issues in explorer with the tool bar menus dissappearing and non functional I uninstalled one drive and all is well again I have 2 user accounts and I have to keep the accounts seperat even though all my info matched. the older version of openoffice I can pin my files to the new open office I amunable to pin to unless they were already pinned.

Ask a Question