My PC is now only using half of its RAM

Reaction score
I have 16GB of RAM that it had been using fully for years. However, in the past few months, it’s only been able to use 7-8GB, which is causing many games to crash. Here are my PC specs:
Motherboard: B550M
CPU: Ryzen 5500
GPU: AMD RX 6600XT
RAM: 16GB
Power Supply: 550W (I think)
When I first got my PC, it used all 16GB without any issues, so I’m not sure why this is happening now.

Bighorn

Reaction score
Perhaps a RAM test would be in order, newer machines have such a test as part of the BIOS. Also, Windows will use as much memory as it needs, up to the limit of the installed RAM, to run programs. If it runs out of RAM the Virtual Memory/swapfile/paging file will come into use if it is activated. Running a Disk Cleanup may also help.

Vote:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
Might be somthing wrong with the cpu not engauging the extra ram I purchased a faulty amd cpu a while back and it took forever for meto work it out think I purchased another cpu which proved to be using both ram after changing cpu.

Vote:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
I have 16GB of RAM that it had been using fully for years. However, in the past few months, it’s only been able to use 7-8GB, which is causing many games to crash. Here are my PC specs:
Motherboard: B550M
CPU: Ryzen 5500
GPU: AMD RX 6600XT
RAM: 16GB
Power Supply: 550W (I think)
When I first got my PC, it used all 16GB without any issues, so I’m not sure why this is happening now.
Remove the ram and clean the contacts with a biro rubber see if that helps the contacts.

Vote:

Ask a Question